New to the Forum

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
petercorb
Organisation: Peter Corbett Photography
Interests: Photography, Digital Printing, Framing, Hiking, Travel, Camping.

New to the Forum

Post by petercorb »

Essentially I am a photographer, I make my living from selling fine art landscape images.

I live in South Africa, Cape Town suburbia to be precise a fishing village called Hout Bay)

I opened a gallery in my local village exactly one year ago, a lifetime ambition; beautifully printed and framed prints bring an image to life and also bring customers to life rather than the Internet.

Anyway during my gallery initiation period I looked at the cost of framing 40-50 fairly large images and decided to investigate the logistics of framing myself, the upshot was that I did just that.

It saved me 50% of the cost, even buying the tools myself (albeit hobbyist tools, well sort of!)

I found the process of framing totally absorbing and a rewarding final to the process of taking the photographs, printing the images, framing and hanging for display.

I frame only for my gallery and my customers who buy my prints; at busy times I revert to a local framers who frames exactly to my designs, which are very limited.

Here in South Africa the choice for most materials in this business is limited, the whole gamut, everything from papers right through to mount board and framing mouldings, and the quality is, well , hit and miss.

Being self taught I still struggle with some issues and knowledge here is very difficult to obtain - no one will share information, not even the material suppliers.

So I am here on the forum and hope to contribute as well as learn from this well of knowledge.

My website is http://www.petercorbett.com you can see my frame designs under the Gallery page, just scroll down to the bottom.

Hope to communicate soon.

Regards

Peter
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: New to the Forum

Post by StevenG »

Welcome aboard Peter, you'll find plenty of helpful people on here :)
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Some lovely images there Peter, welcome to the forum :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
petercorb
Organisation: Peter Corbett Photography
Interests: Photography, Digital Printing, Framing, Hiking, Travel, Camping.

Post by petercorb »

Thanks david :)