Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
niloc
Organisation: intalyo
Interests: stamp collecting, cooking, gardening

Post by niloc »

Hallo fellow framers. My name is Colin Howard of Intalyo, St.Neots, Cambs. I'd be interested to know what others have established as a minimum charge for bespoke framing
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: new member

Post by StevenG »

To be honest I don't have one, I use pricing software and whatever the price is, well, that's the price regardless of what it is :)

welcome btw
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

Hi Colin,
welcome to the forum :)

I doubt many framers have a minimum charge, just depends what the job is, your overheads, how long it takes, and what the materials cost. I remember working at one place where smaller framing jobs, under a certain size, would incur an extra cost to make them a little more profitable...
niloc

Post by niloc »

Many thanks for your response. Sounds like a min charge really.

Do you know how I advertise something for sale?

Regards,
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome to the Forum Colin. :D

You can advertise anything in the Sales/Wants section.

As for minimum charge, it's a good question. Even on a small frame there is still a certain amount of thought that goes into it. So even if you made it from scrap bits which essentially zero material cost you still have to measure/set machines/etc. I tend to work at min £20+vat. No rational reason other than it seems about right.

Linda Evangelwotshername used to say "I don't get out of bed for less than $10,000". So what's sauce for the goose is gander for the other. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Welcome aboard Colin

Good question, I never used to have a minimum charge, but in the first 12 months of opening, I used to have this woman keep coming in with Ready Made frames, and asking me to fire some bendy tabs in and put some D-rings in as well, this went on for a while, and she never bought anything. so one day I said " it will be a week and will cost you our Minimum charge of £7.50" she turn white and said she couldn't wait and left, but I have never seen her since :clap: :clap:

so I have a £10.00 minimum charge for little jobs Ad-Hoc jobs, such as taping up and fitting hangers to old frames that they are putting in a sale and the such, everything else is taken care of in my pricing program
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
niloc

Post by niloc »

Hallo again Steve,

Hearing about your woman reminds me of traps I've fallen into with what I term as repairs, typically "Oh I've broken the glass, could you just pop another bit in for me". I've had a few nightmares where the glass replacement has taken longer than making the frame from scratch! I do now have a min of £25.00 for that situation.

Regards,
Smithy
Organisation: None
Interests: Reading, gardening, music.

Post by Smithy »

prospero wrote:Welcome to the Forum Colin. :D

You can advertise anything in the Sales/Wants section.

As for minimum charge, it's a good question. Even on a small frame there is still a certain amount of thought that goes into it. So even if you made it from scrap bits which essentially zero material cost you still have to measure/set machines/etc. I tend to work at min £20+vat. No rational reason other than it seems about right.

Linda Evangelwotshername used to say "I don't get out of bed for less than $10,000". So what's sauce for the goose is gander for the other. :lol:
What, your telling us you can't frame pictures from your bed, P?? :D