Too old to frame?

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Nogbaduk
Organisation: Farmhouse
Interests: Retired IT man who keeps alpacas and enjoys woodwork. I have a Felder 631 universal and a band saw. Thinking about a Morso F guillotine to improve my carpentry joints/cuts. I am not a framer but could be...

Too old to frame?

Post by Nogbaduk »

Hi to all Framers!

I am retired and turning 60 this year but enjoy time in the workshop. I am more of a tool collector than high volume producer of wooden products!

I have a large shed which used to house sheep and have spent time lining the walls and laying a concrete floor. It now has power and even an old flat screen TV on the wall.

My biggest machine is a Felder 631F universal and has a built in spindle moulder as well as saw, planer and thicknesser. I also have two lathes and a band saw.

A local friend and woodworker showed me how easy he could cut 45% mouldings for a door he is making using a hand mitre chopper. I was so impressed that I looked into buying one and then saw...a Morso F Guillotine!

Can anyone tell me if this would be a useful addition to my workshop for general wood cutting activities? I intend to rebuild/repair an old 6x3m wooden greenhouse which has lots of angled joints and wet rot!

These machines seem to go on forever and vary in cost from £300 to £1700+ depending on age and condition. I live near Redhill in Surrey and wood be interested in hearing anyone's views and advice. If I started making picture frames could someone tell me what else I need? I think a Cassesse underpinner could be useful but presume I also need big tables and a glass cutting system.

Any help or advice on buying a Morso professional would be great!
Thanks,
Nigel
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Too old to frame?

Post by IFGL »

Hi Nogbaduk

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately there is an age limit of 55 for framing, after this age you are considered a liability.

Obviously I am Joking, most framers start later in life, I myself am young, handsome and incredibly virile, but have just set on a new apprentice who is 64, I have found older framers tend to be more patient and have better quality control than their younger counterparts, not always the case , but a generalisation.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Being an experienced woodworker is a good start. What about searching out a class or workshop to learn about the other functions of a picture framer.

Regards
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Welcome aboard, Nigel.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Welcome to the forum

I SAID ... WELCOME TO THE FORUM - Jeez!!
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Hi, I'm recently retired and love boys' toys. Can you tell me whether a Morso is a good toy that will justify spending about £350 on one that I won't use very much?
That's a question that needs answering...!?

From my own research, the only thing that really seems to go properly wrong with Morsos is that the pedal pins wear out. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-New-Morso- ... 3cf4776fff Once they wear out, people put a bolt through, and then you wear holes in both sides of the pedal mechanism. This is a problem if you're making 100 frames a week. For 100 frames a year, it's not.

The other thing is to make sure you have original Morso blades fitted. Cheap alternatives don't cut straight and don't stay sharp. Make sure it comes with a right-hand extension with measuring scale and a left-hand support (though you can make one of these easily enough). New blades are about £200, so almost as much as a second-hand Morso...
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome Nigel. :D

I'm 60. Not retired just slightly knackered. :ninja:

A Morso is great for fine work. If you are chopping mitres in reasonably chunky wood a chop saw would be quicker.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The London branch of the Fine Art Trade Guild meets in the Reigate Manor Hotel - and other places sometimes, but that's the default venue.

It's a well supported branch and you do not have to be a Guild member to attend, it'll just cost you a few quid more. I'm not a member but I rarely miss a meeting there.
Chartreuse
Organisation: The Chartreuse Shepherd
Interests: Framing and art

Post by Chartreuse »

Greetings....l am a 63 year old woman framer....can't give it up totally. Also artist. AND I have a barn l raised my sheep in....my last one passed away last month! Lol
Never too old to frame.....till your 6ft under. The Chartreuse Shepherd....
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Welcome to the forum.

Most framers are old F*rts and retired from something else (god knows why). Those of us young'uns with a life sentence in framing can only try and imagine what we can retire into when we are released. :giggle: :giggle:
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Chartreuse wrote:...my last one passed away last month! Lol
You do know 'lol' is short for laugh out loud right?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome Chartreuse. :P

Now that the barn is vacant of sheeps I take it that you will be doing the honourable thing and tearing it down to make into frames. :lol:
topcat
Organisation: Bay Framing
Interests: Picture Framing
Football
Music

Post by topcat »

Twenty-eight year old framer here. Been working in the industry for twelve years. My dad (58) has been a joiner for forty years and intends to lend me a hand in framing when he retires. Never too old!
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Post by baughen »

As you live in Redhill the best place to learn is right on your doorstep - try East Surrey College. John Hill is an excellent tutor.
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Never to old to frame, Easy money and cruise to retirement. Young and old can be picture framers and we should promote the picture framing industry more positively. Keep local framing shops going more stronger. because alot are shutting down, so there is plenty of potential for new bespoke picture framers across the UK. People still want picture frames on the wall. Simple
philipsheldon
Organisation: Ashworth & Thompson Ltd
Interests: JUDO / NFFC / CRICKET / REAL ALE ...oh, and Life in general.

Post by philipsheldon »

:D Hello

Never to old to frame - we still supply to a man in his late 80's.
There's nothing I can do if it don't get through, blame it on the Pony Express !
There's nothing I can say if it's gone a stray, blame it on the Pony Express !
prospero

Post by prospero »

philipsheldon wrote::D Hello

Never to old to frame - we still supply to a man in his late 80's.
Jump leads? :clap: :lol:
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

We have a local picture framer in Bradford in his 70s Still working from his home
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I don't want to be a picture framer into my 70's :evil: :evil: