Hello from Frame Fulham

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
framefulham
Organisation: FrameFulham
Interests: framing

Hello from Frame Fulham

Post by framefulham »

I have run a street print and design business for 10 + years and would like to establish a framing business in the same location. DJ Simons have been very helpful and a few other framers with ideas and assistance.

Has anyone recently opened a retail framing business and can lend some advice.

Many Thanks
Tahir
Roboframer

Re: Hello from Frame Fulham

Post by Roboframer »

Welcome to the forum, Tahir!

There must be a few here that have recently started up or expanded - post any specific questions in the help, business or members only forums.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Welcome framefulham, look forward to seeing you around :)
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

Hi Tahir, you sound like you're in a very similar position to me a year or two ago. I've run a graphic design business for just over 10 years and opened a framing shop this time last year.
It's worked out really well - both sides of the business complement each other - and it's great to have something different to get me away from the Mac! I also enjoy meeting a completely different kind of customer from my commercial design clients.
Running the framing business in parallel to my existing nine-to-five has been great - I'd hate to try and launch a framing business from a standing start, but by already having the premises, and a steady existing income, it's made it far less of a risk. And my design and branding experience has been really useful.
If I could give you any advice, it would be to gather as much information as you can from existing framers and 'borrow' ideas where you see fit, but don't try and emulate exactly what others are doing - the trade seems to vary massively dependent on location so what works for one might not work for others. Just go with your gut instinct, start with a variety of samples of what YOU like and can sell with enthusiasm, and then develop your stock lines from there once you've tested the waters.

Good luck!