Arraglass specification

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
davek110
Organisation: Flair Frames
Interests: Framing and water colours

Arraglass specification

Post by davek110 »

Hello everyone. Whilst I have been registered with FF for quite a while, I have never posted anything. My name is Dave, originally from Solihull, UK. I live in sunny Cyprus and have been framing for several years now, I also paint water colours.

I wonder if anyone can give me the specification details of "Arraglass". I have used it before and I am using it again on another project which I want to advertise, including the spec of "Arraglass". You see I am framing fairies and fairy doors, which will almost certainly end up in a young child's bedroom, hence the consideration for safety.

I must say I would prefer to use ordinary 2mm glass any day, It's hard to scratch and isn't a strong magnet to all things airborne.

I hope someone can help me, it would be very much appreciated.

Good luck to you all.

Dave K.
Flair Frames.
Cyprus
huntvambo
Organisation: Framed
Interests: Music, cycling, drinking, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Re: Arraglass specification

Post by huntvambo »

prospero

Post by prospero »

Going back a few years to when I worked in a factory making all sorts plastic things I seem
to think Arraglas is one of the many trade names for polycarbonate products.
Others are Lexan, Makralon......

Polycarbonate is softer than acrylic so more susceptible to scruff and scratches. However, it is
really tough and about as unbreakable as it's possible to be. So high score on the safety scale.
It's used in bullet-resistant glass. 8)

It often rated as UV resistant, but this can be deceptive. The UV rating refers to how much the
actual plastic is resistant to UV rays, not any degree of UV filtering, which I would assume is about the
same a standard glass.

I once used a biggish sheet in a frame and it looked OK. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
davek110
Organisation: Flair Frames
Interests: Framing and water colours

Post by davek110 »

Thank you very much huntvambo and prospero for your prompt reply, which is very helpful.
Have a good week.
Dave K.