Hi

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
toastedc
Organisation: N/A
Interests: Picture framing, photography gardening,

Hi

Post by toastedc »

Hello

Just a quick post to introduce myself. I have got interested in framing via a friend who owns a framing business who has given me a lot of one to one tuition over the last year. He thinks I should start out on my own but not as easy as it sounds as I also have to care for my disabled wife.

I have purchased a morso guillotine (am looking for new metric measuring guides if anyone knows where I can get them) and a cassesse underpinner amongst other bits so do have the some means for framing. I have been practising by making frames for friends and family but would welcome any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks
Garry
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: Hi

Post by Rainbow »

Hi Garry

Good to have you on board. I'm sure you'll get answers to any specific questions but I'd also recommend reading as many threads as you can, just to immerse yourself in the industry. Some people have read every thread since the year dot, and I believe it took one person a year to do it :clap: I haven't gone as far as that but I've picked up a lot along the way, just by reading old threads.

I hope it goes well for you if you do decide to strike out on your own :)
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Sounds like a great mate to have. Welcome, Garry :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Garry. :D

I've been at it for 35 years and still learning things.

It's basically simple, but there are all sorts of little tricks you learn though practice.

Take solace in the fact that whatever problems you encounter, some (all?) of us here will have had them before
and know the answer. Don't be reticent when it comes to asking questions. :wink:

** In answer to your first question - https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk/co ... ns/morso-f

..........they appear to be out of stock atm. :(
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Good morning Gary :D and welcome to the FF

I note that you too look after your wife who has health problems. Framing under those circumstances can be extremely problematic but can also be a solution and a beneficial way of dealing with a difficult situation. Not only will framing take your mind off the many every day problems and give you something else to think about, it will also allow you to meet some very nice people.

The one piece of advice I would offer is to try an keep the amount of custom framing you take on under control and do not, under any circumstances, allow yourself to be put under time pressures. You will find most people will understand the situation and if they don't then politely show them the door. After a life time of running a successful frame shop/gallery and not refusing any business that came our way this, is the most difficult part.

Since becoming a "born again framer" I have discovered there is more to life than being a carer and the two roles are achievable.

Very best wishes for what ever you decide to do and do not hesitate to pm me if I can be of any further help.

peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum,

I can understand where you are coming from to some degree, the difference being that I am currently the disabled one, following a stroke. My wife is also just coming up to 71 and a few years ago had three not very helpful hospital operations, so we are working within our limitations. I am expecting to improve with time from my stroke, but these things take time.

The thing I would say is that, don't allow the framing to drive you beyond your comfort zone. There's a narrow dividing line between enjoying what you are doing and things becoming too much pressure. What's more the reality is that things can step up into the excess pressure zone so quickly, that you may wonder how you did not notice it was happening.

I hope you will find framing both enjoyable and fullfilling. If you have any questions, you've come to the right place. A lot of the framers who were newbies not long ago are often those who are helping newer newbies solve there problem, after what seems no time at all. The fact is that framers develop from newbies to competent framers surprisingly quickly on this forum.

Nice to have you on board,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Welcome Gary -

I notice you're in Newmarket. Wessex Pictures are running one of their roadshows at Newmarket racecourse on 24th September. It's a free to attend drop in event and you'll be able to meet a number of moulding suppliers, equipment firms and also lots of other framers. If you need any advice on equipment, Garry White from Wessex should be there and is very knowledgeable and helpful. I've always found that I learn something from these events.

https://www.artandframingroadshow.com/W ... tures.html. (apologies for no hyperlink - can't seem to make it work - good old fashioned copy and paste should do the trick).

Good luck
Jonathan
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
toastedc
Organisation: N/A
Interests: Picture framing, photography gardening,

Post by toastedc »

Many thanks for the very warm welcome.

I am very interested in the roadshow and had no idea that such a thing existed let alone just down the road. Looking forward to reading all the posts in the forum and after this welcome certainly won't worry about asking for advice.