After all these years.....

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

After all these years.....

Post by Steve N »

After all these years, I thought it was about time for Introductions

Started framing around 1989 for a shop which was in a chain known as Frame IT mainly in the south west. Started to enter framing competitions when the main framing and publishing show was held at Olympia in London in September each year, you used to take your competition piece up on the Sunday, it was judge on the Sunday and the prizes given out as well . I won the creative award in 1992 (at my third attempt) John Rains also won the other award the same year, and we have remained friends ever since.
After winning the award, I was asked my opinion on many occasion on the setting up of the GCF qualification, and was in the second batch of framers to take the exam in 1994 , certificate number is GCF-020 , so I'm one of the earliest holders of the qualification
Many times over the years I have written pieces for the Art Business Today mag
After working in framing for other people, late 2008 saw me start up my own company, Frontier Picture Frames Ltd, (what a time to start :!: :oops: :o ) here in the lovely city of Bath, we do custom framing and sell online, mainly mounts, we are known for our shaped mounts we produce of animals, birds etc, we sell loads to crafters all over the UK , if you have seen an elephant, bird , hedgehog or stag head shaped mount, chances it's one of our.

I try not to take myself too seriously, so you must not either, if I can help with anything , give me a shout
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: After all these years.....

Post by poliopete »

Hi Steve :D

Very nice intro'.

Better late than never :giggle:

Best wishes.

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It is so nice to know a little bit more about each others story and how we got to where we are now. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Really nice read, Steve.

As I hope I never tire of saying: thank you again to yourself, Mark, Prospero-Peter, Dermot, and all the other masters of this craft who pass on your hard-won knowledge and insights.

Without all the support you guys give (for free), people like me would find it a whole lot harder (and lonelier) to make a living.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PS. Any chance of an armadillo-shaped mount?
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Post by +Rafe+ »

Lovely to read about your experience. Also a thank you from me too for your input and advice. I have be able to learn lots.

I am off to Bath for the weekend so might try and find time to say hello.

All the best.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Thanks +Rafe+
you'll need to get up early, only open until 11am on Saturday's :clap: :ninja:
If you look at the contact page of our website there is a map and directions (which no one reads :head: )

hope to see you

Steve
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/