Hello From Yorkshire (Lis and the obligatory whippet)

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Lis
Organisation: Otto Framing
Interests: Walking the hound, typography and graphics, saving stuff from skips (especially if it's a bit odd), having too much furniture, being around nice people.

Hello From Yorkshire (Lis and the obligatory whippet)

Post by Lis »

Hello framers!

I thought I’d introduce myself – another newbie looking for answers from for you friendly and helpful folk.

I’m setting up my own workshop and realise there is SO much to learn about framing (which is how I came across the forum in the first place - endlessly googling answers to the myriad of questions that pop up).
I worked in picture framing workshops for a couple of years when I was in my early twenties, but mostly on the mount cutting and assembly side of things and that was a little while ago now (ahem). The lovely framer who initially took me on, inspired me with his knowledge and enthusiasm for all things framing, restoration and gilding and it basically changed my life trajectory to a much more creative one. (Thank you, Doug of Salisbury!)

I’ve done a fair amount of furniture-making and some restoration training since the early days (plus worked making graphics and props for film and tv for a fair while), so I thought I had a good grounding to come back to the trade that I was inspired by. But… I’m a bit wide eyed about all the stuff I don’t quite know the answer to yet. (Plus a bit impatient to know it all - having to remind myself that tiny steps is OK.)

Pricing is definitely a big worry right now. That and the dodgy kit I bought as a job lot. (Oh dear! Lesson learned. :Slap: Now shopping for a new underpinner after wasting far too much time trying to get the one that was “in good working order” to make a neat job without scaring the living daylights out of me!! Spring snapped and now a hammer that occasionally fires like it's possessed by Thor. Plus it's been obsolete for nearly 15 years...) On that note, what do people think about the Cassese CS199? - there are a couple of reconditioned options available out there… and a CS20, but I don't know the price of that one yet :D

Thanks for reading and I look forward to learning from you all!

Lis

P.S. If any Yorkshire framers are up for a chat or a visit, I’d be delighted!
Also, interested to know if there are plenty of lady framers out there – please say hello.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Hello From Yorkshire (Lis and the obligatory whippet)

Post by Justintime »

Hi Lis
Welcome to the group!
I have been looking at the cs199 and 299 lately, although sadly my equipment budget now appears to be zero this year, so I'm sticking with my trusty CS88 for the time being.
I can recommend Estlite pricing software. I haven't looked back, once it was set up right. There's nothing much out there any cheaper (except Wessex Pricing software) and certainly much more expensive options.
For second hand underpinners try Jamie Griffiths at TGS Repairs. I know they have some Cassese in stock at the moment.
If you're on Instagram, have a look @girlframer, nice work and she's very sociable.
Good luck
Justin
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi Lis and welcome to the Forum. :D :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Lis
Organisation: Otto Framing
Interests: Walking the hound, typography and graphics, saving stuff from skips (especially if it's a bit odd), having too much furniture, being around nice people.

Post by Lis »

Hello Prospero and hello Justin!

Thanks for the information you included, Justin - very helpful! I'll look up the pricing software you suggested as it's great to have one recommended, rather than just go on the website blurb (I've only got a mac computer and the ones I'd had a quick look at used Windows - which would mean ANOTHER bit of kit to buy. Doh!). I've also now had a quick trip to your Instagram - great workshop & lovely stuff!! @girlframer is singing loud for the lady framers on social media...
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi liz and welcome to the forum.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hello Liz :D welcome to the FF

Peter.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Hi Lis

Welcome to the forum :D

Lots of us lady framers around. If you're on Facebook have a look at the Women of Picture Framing group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1220176218059387/
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Welcome to the Forum from me and Nuala the greyhound !
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

That's an interesting FB group. :D

I can't help but think how ladies would react to a group for male picture framers only. :x :shock: :o :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Indeed, Peter :clap: . I'm very grateful that John didn't make this forum 'Northern Irish only'.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Hello Lis, and welcome. Look forward to hearing your questions as I'm sure I'll learn something from them as well :)

I'm a female framer too, but I must admit I'm not keen on either women-only or men-only groups, let's all intermix :D
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

The only FB framers group I would join would be the 'Framers with dogs' :lol:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/