David Million checking in for first time

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
millibobs
Organisation: Shepley Photo Art
Interests: Photography
Musician
Framer
Guitar Effect Pedal builder
Woodcraft

David Million checking in for first time

Post by millibobs »

Greetings from a much cooler West Yorkshire (Shepley). The forum was highly recommended by a friend who is an accomplished framer. I was fortunate to acquire a Morso mitre machine, a ton of mouldings and some high quality glass a few years ago. I am more or less competent at cutting mounts, mitres and putting the results together but still making rookie errors on a regular basis.

I have a massive photo archive with lots of great images and I'm aiming to sell these as complete, mounted/framed products. I also take on the occasdional one-off commission from people who know what I do and have a few pictures in a local gallery (which for now, is closed down).

I also use my framing skills and materials on other craft projects for displays and garden ornamentation - framing tiles is my latest madcap idea but it works well and the wood can handle the weather!

I'm interested in picking up an underpinner as my arms are suffering a lot from a nerve condition and I could do with an easier frame jointing solution - any advice welcomed on this.

Good to 'meet' you all and look forward to some banter along the way.........
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: David Million checking in for first time

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi David,

I hope that you will enjoy being one of the gang. Everybody is very friendly and if you need the answers to any questions, you may have pleas ask. In the meantime it's nice to have you aboard.

Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
millibobs
Musician
Framer
Woodcraft

Post by millibobs »

Cheers Mark - look forward to some useful discussion/exchanges of ideas in due course!
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Hi David,
If it's a foot operated underpinner that you're looking for, I would say that you can't go wrong with a Cassese CS88. I started with a shiny new CS1 and passed it on as soon as I could. The CS88 is a far superior design and the results just don't compare. You can pick one up in the low hundreds at the right time. As for pneumatic underpinners, the Alfamacchine 4 and Cassese CS199/299 seem very popular.
Justin
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm on my second CS-88 and think that they're great. So easy to look after and I do all my own maintenance too!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
millibobs
Musician
Framer
Woodcraft

Post by millibobs »

Responses much appreciated - many thanks 🙂 will be looking into the CS-88..........
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Agree Cassese and Alfamacchine are definitely the 2 I see most frequently on my travels

There are 2 more >>> INMES from Brazil, sold by LION and Danlist (aka Morso) from Denmark.
I never knew Danlist made underpinners until last week, when I saw a photo of one that had just arrived in Vietnam.
Its true " One never stops learning" :tmi:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg