Hello

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Freemo
Organisation: Freemos Frames
Interests: Framing

Hello

Post by Freemo »

Hi everyone. I’m new on here and even more new to the world of framing. I’ve been reading a lot of posts and find most of the info on them quite useful. I started framing as I had to finish work due to health reasons , so I have quite a bit of time to spend on perfecting everything. I’m now looking at a mount cutter and the Logan 350 has caught my eye, then I see loads more and it confuses me. I have around £300 to spend on one so can anyone give me some guidance on what’s good and what’s not so good. Thanks
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Hello

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Freemo,

Welcome to the forum and I hope that you will enjoy being part of our happy little band. Seeing than you do not have a particularly big budget for a mountcutter, I might be worth looking for an older C & H bainbridge cutter, if it's in good condition. I started off with one of those, but I do need to make sure that there is no excessive play in the cutter head block. It's excessive play in the head block that spells the end of the road for these!

Many older C & H mount cutters can be picked up at quite a reasonably low price as they are not always too new.

Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Freemo

Post by Freemo »

Thanks Mark as you know , there’s just so much to chose from and it’s confusing when your starting off and don’t want to purchase something that isn’t going to last too long
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

The C & H mount cutters are professional level bits of kit, but they are not so common now that the mount cutters with aluminium bases light the Keencut and the Fletcher terry came along, so the don't fetch all that much monet secondhand, but they still are professional level and are quite seriously durable and well made. Hopefully this might be a way of saving you a bit of money.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Freemo

Post by Freemo »

Thanks again. I’ll have to contact a local farmer and see if we can come to some arrangement if I use their business to cut mounts for me on a regular basis.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Greetings Freemo and Welcome to the Forum. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Freemo

Post by Freemo »

Sorry
Not your average framer

During the time that Keencut were making the Ultimat, it was probably the most popular model of mount cutter in the whole of the Uk at the time and with good reason. When the bearings got a bit of excess play, you could make adjustments to correct this and as long as you can continue to get replacement bearings, you will probably always be able the make an older Keencut Ultimat like new, by just replacing and readjusting the bearings.

I am guessing that it won't do any harm checking with Keencut about availability of spares, but I have not heard anything about this being a problem.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Freemo

Post by Freemo »

Thank you for your reply. 👍🏽👍🏽
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

girlfromkent has just posted a Keencut mount cutter for sale yesterday at a great price.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Freemo

Post by Freemo »

Thanks mate , I’m on it 👍🏽👍🏽