hello from Dorset

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Sparky
Organisation: Sparkys
Interests: windsurfing

hello from Dorset

Post by Sparky »

Morning all,

First off, I'll come clean - not a framer :D however, I work for a gallery in the south west and we're looking at bringing some of framing in-house so I'm after advice as to a).the best / essential kit to get up and running and b). best place to advertise from a framer to come and work for us. Work will be for both in-house and external clients so possibly part-time to begin with moving to full time as and when.

Kind regards,

Sparky
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Re: hello from Dorset

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Hello Sparky

I'm a bit confused :?

It says over on the right Harrogate, so my first bit of advice was go and see Maxwell Roberts for a start. Its only 30 mins
http://www.headrowgallery.co.uk/ You will find him most helpful.
He's in Leeds, but now I read your subject line and it says Dorset, so where are you :?:

Second get a LION catalogue - its like a bible showing all a budding framer might ever need.https://www.lionpic.co.uk/

3rd suggestion contact the F.A.T.G. .and order their Art + Framing Today https://fineart.co.uk/ Worth every penny.

4th suggestion ask any question you want on here. We are a friendly bunch, and many give good succinct advice quite freely

I will leave the question of where / how to find a framer in Dorset to my esteemed colleagues on here :giggle:

And finally I wish you every success. We need more framers
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Hi Sparky,
This forum is a good place to advertise. There are also a number of groups on Facebook, always mention that it's a UK ad, as many of the groups are based in the US or worldwide. "Professional Picture Framers Group" is UK based I believe although like the others has a worldwide audience.
As for equipment to get started we all have our own preferences and it largely depends on the type of framing work that you intend to do. If you want to use hardwood barewoods as well as prefinished mouldings then I would suggest additional equipment.
Any framer worth their salt will know exactly what they need.
Cutting: Morso F or mitre/double mitre saw
Joining: Underpinner (Cassese/Alfamacchine/Inmes) and/or Hoffmann Dovetail router
Mounts: Mountcutter (I have a very good Fletcher 2200 for sale at the moment)
Backboard & Glass: Wall mounted Panel cutter like the Fletcher or Keencut
And a 1001 additional hand/power tools, sundries.
Pricing software like Estlite or frameR by Framiac
SPACE!!
As Keith said, the Lion's catalogue will give you a great insight into this whole world. Wessex Pictures are in Bournemouth too.
Good luck.
Justin
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Sparky,

There's plenty of second hand equipment about at the moment, so I would suggest that you consider, wether you are going to be looking at new, or second hand equipment, as this will have a significant difference up on how much money you will need to get started. You will also need to choose how much equipment you are able to sensibly be able to fix in to you available workshop space and your stock of materials will require space for storage as well. There will be a lot, that needs to be considered before you are able to get things started.

I you have said, that you are not a framer, it is probably a good idea to good on a proper professional level training course, to get a better understanding of what will be involved and what level of equipment will be needed. You won't become a top class framer overnight, nobody does that! It takes time and there is quite a lot to learn. Most of us, who are already existing framers, we tell you that it a steep learning curve, but if the rest of us where able to do it, you should be able to do it too.

What you need to spend getting the necessary equipment will to a very large extent depend up on the level of capability that you intend to offer to you customers. So you will need carefully consider this, before you can make a list of the items that you will be needing to get. There are many members on this forum, who are operating their framing businesses on various levels from small and fairly basic to large and very comprehensive, with various different levels in between. May I suggest that you ask a few questions on this forum and see what answers you get from different members to help point you in to the right direction. I see that Wessex Pictures has already been mentioned and I use them to, so I have no difficulty in recommending them too.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Sparky
Organisation: Sparkys
Interests: windsurfing

Post by Sparky »

Thanks so much for your replies so far - just to clear up, I'm in Dorset - bit of a slip as I'm originally from harrogate and was up there at the time!

Everything very helpful, so thank you again!
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Glad a few of us have helped you already
Suggest you change your Location to wherever you are or Dorset if preferred.
We all tend to look right to see where from, especially if you are asking where to buy supplies .
Or even when you say you are " advertising for a framer to come and work for us "
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome Sparky. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About