Old Artist, New Frame-Maker.

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Andyward
Organisation: N/A
Interests: Painting and framing

Old Artist, New Frame-Maker.

Post by Andyward »

Hi,

Having recently retired, I have begun to resurrect my artistic career, which has been dormant for about 30 years! (see my new - and sparsely populated Instagram account: @andyward1957 ). I've started with portraiture and having completed a few pieces, I've turned my attention to framing them - something I've always been interested in.

I recently became aware of two types of framing that I hadn't really known about previously: the 'Tabernacle Frame' and Dutch 17th Century-style Ripple-Moulding Frame. I'm keen to try both as I think they suit my artistic style and the portrait subjects I've been painting lately. I've just completed a 'Tabernacle Frame' which I'll post on here, as I'm ready to paint and finish it and would welcome some suggestions.

Looking forward to sharing my efforts on here and benefiting from the collective experiences of the group!

Andy
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Old Artist, New Frame-Maker.

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum. I am also planning to make a tabernacle frame at some point. Hopefully it will produce some customer interest. I'm not expecting it to be particularly difficult, but as in most thing that I have not made before, there may be a bit of a learning curve. There is probably a significant amount of labour time to consider as well. Will it make money? That's hard to say, but at least it will be fun to make! It's one of the things to try on my list of things to make and try to sell in my shop window, when the shop is sorted and the lockdown gets lifted. There's quite a long list of things I have planned as future items to try and sell from my shop window. I'm guessing that some might be a waste of time, but we shall see.

I guess that we are all planning new things for what may be somewhat unknown territory after the lock down. A lot of what I've got planned is largelya matter of revisiting things I have done a bit of in the past. I feel reasonably comfortable with most of it, but I need to dip my toe in the water to see how financially worthwhile much of this will be in our current rather unpredictable times. I've had some enquires about offering things like this for sales, before Covid and the lockdown came along, but after the lockdown may be a differernt matter. I am fairly well linked in to a group of local small scale traders, who are interested in trying to sell bits and pieces which I can make, so I may have some useful openings other than just my own shop.

Before the lockdown, I bought and sold somethings through an auction house in Exeter, but I've not got very good feeling about the viability of that for some time after Covid. So I'm doing a bit of re-connecting with old friends and old markets for making money in earlier times in my life. I hope that some of these old connections are still viable, but who knows. I guess there are interesting times ahead, but I always scraped by some how when times have been less easy and it's almost a way of life, that I used to be well used to. Hopeful we will all help one another and we will get through this O.K.

Hopefully thing will come together well for you to in these challenging times as well and I wish you bon chance, with that thought in mind,
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Old Artist, New Frame-Maker.

Post by JFeig »

With all due respect, you have to change your mindset, while keeping your creativeness as an artist.
Having the "eye" of an artist is an asset.
Instead of creating art for the sake of art, you have to take into consideration all of the processes, materials and needs of preserving what has already been created.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com