Hi from Italy

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Mike biker
Organisation: Myself
Interests: Woodworking, carpentry, welding, restoring old vespa, build bicycles, 3d printing, CNC machines... Making!

Hi from Italy

Post by Mike biker »

Hi everyone,
I am 29 years old and I love making stuff. I (obviously) fall in love with woodworking and I have not only some basic hand tools but also some power tools like the router and the table saw (makita mlt100).

I am looking for a complete guide (book, video, whatever you have) to start building picture frames (jigs included) in the correct way, and, for sure, gradually more complex frames.

Thank you for your support
Michele
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Hi from Italy

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi michele,

Most of the decent books are getting a bit old these days and lots of us forum members are doing their own thing. There's a bit of a mixture of different members here doing lots of really interesting things on here and the finished standard is generally outstanding, so have a good look at as many examples as you can of different members articules and see which direction suit you. We got a lot of genuine expertise on the forum and with so many obvious experts will still are all very friendly too! How's that for amazing?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Welcome Michele

Mal at Harlequin Frames kindly does some instructional videos - https://www.harlequin-frames.co.uk/

I believe he's a forum member but I don't know his forum name.

Buona fortuna! (Blame Google if that doesn't mean Good Luck in Italian :D )
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Ciao Michele,

Welcome to the Framers Forum.
Italy aaaaah one of my favourite countries :D

Ive been exhibiting at the show in Bologna every year since 1989
Will try and add a picture from out first ColourMount stand

I am at the end of my career, and have some books I no longer need.
One in particular is especially for beginners like you
If you tell me your address I will post it to you
No charge, just happy to help any new start up.
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

20210121_043623.jpg
Keith Hewitt
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Sorry the pic is sideways
Just spent 20 minutes writing an explanation about the picture, only to get a message " Too late to Edit! :head:
So now written it in Word and pasted it below :clap:

For those of you who go back to 1989
Left to right Baboo Gokool from Natal Arts & Crafts Durban South Africa, me, Vitor Correia from Madrid, Mike Dale from Slater Harrison, and our interpreter.
As we were dismantling this stand an elderly man approached and asked for samples and prices. He spoke no English and had no business card! Mike Dale muttered something about “The show has finished. Tell him to ….off” . I decided otherwise and gave him samples and prices. He came back 10 minutes later with Manrico Calonaci his sales manager. Turns out the elderly man was the owner of ALBOR a huge Italian moulding co in the 1980’s. He felt the time was right to add mount boards to ALBORS range. 32 years later they still stock ColourMount.
Keith Hewitt
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Keith,

What happened to the ALbor moulding that used to be imported in to this country? They had a really nice 25mm square quarter cut pinne moulding, which was knot free and in a lovely range of different washed colours. It was just great! I don't think it is available in the UK anymore. I'm guessing,but it may have been it the Euro Mouldings range.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Michele, you could also have a look at a series of videos which are published on the Larson Juhl web site. You have to drill down a bit but go to Resources, and most of the videos you might find useful at this stage are in the Resource Centre.

https://larsonjuhl.co.uk
Mike biker
Organisation: Myself
Interests: Woodworking, carpentry, welding, restoring old vespa, build bicycles, 3d printing, CNC machines... Making!

Post by Mike biker »

Wow, this forum is awesome!
6 replies in 24 hours, a lot of interesting videos, incredible stories...and super kind people!
@keith, I will send my mail by private message, really appreciated!! I think that for this kind of activity the golden starting rule is: old is good.

I have bought a few months ago a 3d printer, and today I have used it for an interesting thing.

I am super excited about this new challenge!
Attachments
finish product
finish product
print completed
print completed
printing process
printing process
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Michele
Its in the post today
I've sent you a PM ( private message )
The book I'm sending was written by Pete Bingham, who was one of the characters in the UK industry about 1970 - 2010
I bought 10 of his books and gave them away to distributors & framers I met on my travels overseas.
I was in Pisa last October. Next time I'm in Pisa, I might call and see how you are progressing. Livorno is only 30 km away
Good luck in your future
Keith Hewitt
Not your average framer

Hi Michele,

Yes, this forum is awesome, but it would not be so awesome, without a lot of amazing and awesome members. It's also not obvious that many of these originally joined the forum as newbies and that includes myself and quite a few of our gifted and most active members. This is great pllace to learn things that are not easy to learn elsewhere. Lots of the real experts on here are self taught and a lot of us, have learnt a lot of what we do from each other. I'm sure that we are all glad that you like it. Enjoy!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer