Newby from Coventry

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Magicmoments
Organisation: John Farndon
Interests: Photography, Sport, Framing, Reading.

Newby from Coventry

Post by Magicmoments »

Hi,
I have been interested in Photography for sometime and during the pandemic I seriously thought about doing my own frames. I've always been practical and try to do things for myself. I started in January 2021 and I'm getting better but not good enough yet. That is partially due to me and some due to the equipment I have.
I aim to be roaming the forum, dipping into most Topics and getting inspiration, knowledge and more importantly HELP!
I want to go from this :head: to this :D

Thanks
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Newby from Coventry

Post by David McCormack »

Welcome to the forum John :handshake:

Hope you get to :D very soon!
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Newby from Coventry

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Magic moments and welcome to the forum,

You can produce frames at various levels of equipment, but the degree of professionalism of your equipment will have a big effect up on your efficiecy and your productivity, which of course will have a significant effect up on your equipment budget. So part of your thinking will need to be assessing how much it is going to be worth investing in your equipment vs how much you are going to be making use of this equipment. Some items of equipment can be obtained secondhand and hopefully in good condition at a cost which will save you money.

I would suggest that it would be a good thing to get some sort of understanding about what you are likely to be needing, plus the capabilities and limitation of different equipments options and budgetary considerations as a first step, before deciding to start buying equipment. Good training may also be another good first step before going much further. Different forum members will recommend various training providers, which you can evaluate and consider.

I will mention Framers Equipment in Northampton, who are a thoughly professional outfit with a first class reputation and also supply new and refurbished equipment. No doubt other forum members will have their favorites as well and will also make their own recommendations as well. This is a forum, where it's members have a good track record for helping new members get established and up to speed, so your have come to the right place and I hope that you will enjoy getting to know us all.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer