Hello from a soon-to-be framer (I hope!)

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Hello from a soon-to-be framer (I hope!)

Post by WannabeFramer »

Good morning all,

I have been lurking for a little while but feel the time is right to pop in properly and say hello. :D

I am hoping to set up a small framing business very shortly, and although I have dreams I am lacking somewhat in technical ability, experience and (to some extent) confidence. So now I really need to stop thinking and start 'doing'!

My husband is an artist and the idea of framing has built up over the last few months as our local framer retired and the galleries he displays with often want items ready to hang. He also sells a lot of work online and would like to offer buyers a framed option.

So, after conversations with a good local framing wholesaler, I acquired a second-hand Morso, Casesse underpinner and have a Logan mount cutter, all of which I am getting to grips with on my own projects, and I know perfection will only come through practice.

Although I am not advertising, word has been trickling out locally that I can offer framing and I have done some simple jobs so I am hopeful there is a need locally. But before I go any further, I really need to undertake some training so I can offer a more professional service. This I think is my most pressing need, as I want to feel confident I am using the proper techniques from the outset.

Does anyone have recommendations? I have been looking at Guild-Certified Trainers, but am unsure if this is the only option? I am in Mid -Wales so expect to travel.

I have many other questions on both the framing and business aspects as I feel at a bit of a cross-roads in which direction to go, but I think they will be better in the Business section.

If you have read all this, thank you and I look forward to learning from you all and picking your brains. :-)

Anyway
iorek
Organisation: A Picture Framing One
Interests: Sport, Art, Photography,

Re: Hello from a soon-to-be framer (I hope!)

Post by iorek »

Hi - good luck and I wish you well. It's an enjoyable trade to be in, lots of interesting things get framed :)

It's a travel, but I went to Atkins in Edinburgh for a 2 day course to get started and it was excellent. Got me up and running. There's plenty more training once you get going.

If your husband is an artist, have him get a load of prints and you can frame them for practice and to sell.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Hello and welcome to the Forum and to framing

Richard Atkins has retired now I believe, but I've sent you a PM about the training options that we offer.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Given my time over I’d bypass most start up’s major fear - speculation!

There is good and not so good training to be had - my advice is yes, use guild certified trainers but look all over (the world) for literature - hard copies or on line like places like this. Watch Facebook it can be full of dross

Find a good framer - a really really good one! probably nowhere near you but maybe just a bit too far to be worried about you. Offer to come work for them for no salary for two weeks, in fact offer to pay THEM. Live training cannot be beaten - see orders through from customer to supplier to workshop back to customer. Find out about suppliers, who’s hot and who’s not. See top of the range underpinners and CMCs in daily use. Just watching an experienced framer taking customer orders can be worth a fortune.

More! Good luck.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I'm in North Pembs, between Crymych and Newport. If you're ever down this way I'd be happy to meet up with you here or have a telephone call to discuss things. I'm in my 6th year framing from home full-time and vividly remember all of the same issues. Give me a call 07892822582.
Justin.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Post by WannabeFramer »

Aww thank you all, I wasn't expecting answers so soon and nipped back to my day job for a little while! I am crafty by nature and have always wanted a profession where I make things but life got in the way and I currently spend far too much staring at spreadsheets. I am also quite fickle and like starting new projects, so framing does seem ideal as each new frame is a new project. :lol:

Some very good things to think about thank you. Some training will be a priority, but I also need to be mindful of my (currently non-existent) budget and see what I can do. I have just signed up for two business workshops funded by Welsh Government, one of which is a 1-2-1 with a dedicated business advisor so I can fire some questions to him.

Tudor Rose - thank you, I will have a look. :-)

Justintime - I am a couple of hours away I think and would love to meet up, that is a really kind offer, thank you! I would especially be interested in how you manage at home. I would like to do that ideally (we managed to lift the Morso upstairs into our 'craft room', but I am not too keen on customers coming round (kids, dogs, general chaos). There are some affordable council-owned units becoming available very close to my house which my husband is keen on exploring as a framing workshop/gallery space, but that scares the life out of me at this point. See - definitely need to work on the confidence.

JKX - Definitely in-person training is the way to go, there is only so much I can learn from books/tutorials. I am mindful there are a couple of local-ish (well, 40 mins away) framers and I don't want to make anyone feel awkward, but you have given me food for thought.