Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Norfolk Red
Organisation: Norwich
Interests: Golf and football

Post by Norfolk Red »

Hi there,

just thought I would introduce myself. I am by trade a carpenter/joiner and would like to do some framing hence joining the Forum.
So being a "nooby",I hope you will not mind me asking what probably to you experienced people will seem like some stupid questions from time to time. :shock:

Well I suppose a good place to start would be on the guillotine. I believe that the Morso machine is the way to go,I have heard that they are pretty much bullet proof,but are there things to look out for ?
Any help would be very much appreciated,and if any one has one for sale in the Norfolk area,perhaps they could let me know please.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Regards,

Mark.
Roboframer

Re: New member

Post by Roboframer »

Welcome to the forum, Mark!
Norfolk Red wrote:Well I suppose a good place to start would be on the guillotine
I'll leave a note in the basket, you can read it later :D
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

welcome mark - any tips you need on morso just ask or use search - there is not a lot of info missing on morso! good luck with your search - you could try sales and wants.
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

There is a Morso for sale in Wellingborough see this post http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7402 maybe a two hour drive?

The thing to look out for when buying a Morso is not to lose your head!! What a carry on :giggle:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If you buy a Morso new, make sure it's from a reputable framing supplier with an engineering dept and not 'new with tags' on Ebay for example.

If you buy one second-hand, again you can do that from a reputable supplier with an engineering dept that would have serviced/reconditioned it and will offer X months service/support.

But if you buy one privately, either from a framer or someone that once knew one/whatever, then it's sold as seen, a bit like buying a car I suppose, there's been one or two Morso-purchase nightmare stories posted here. Having said that, don't be put off buying privately, just look at the CV of the seller and if possible see it in action and be allowed to make a few frames with it yourself before diving for your wallet.

My Morso works perfectly - for me, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone else unless they wanted it for spares - or could spare a month or two with me to get used to its foibles, and even if either were the case, I'd block the buyer's phone No and email address the second they left the premises!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Mark,

whereabouts in Norfolk are you, I'm based in Coltishall?

Cheers

Dave
Norfolk Red

Post by Norfolk Red »

Dave wrote:Hi Mark,

whereabouts in Norfolk are you, I'm based in Coltishall?

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave,

I have sent you an e-mail.

Cheers,

Mark.
Norfolk Red

Post by Norfolk Red »

Dave,

apparently I have not sent you an e-mail,my mistake and sorry for any confusion :oops:

Do you have a contact number?

Regards,

Mark.
Tyto
Organisation: Wild Norfolk
Interests: Photography

Post by Tyto »

Hi Mark
I bought a used morso about 3 years ago, to be honest at the time I wasn't making enough frames to justify the outlay but I figured that as they hold their value well I wouldn't lose much if I eventually gave up and sold it. It was probably the best £500 pounds I've spent. I still don't do vast numbers of frames as I mainly frame my own photography for sale at local craft fairs etc but for me the speed and quality of work the morso produces is priceless.
I'm in Norfolk too, between Norwich and Gt Yarmouth so would be glad to help any time I can but having said that there are many far more experienced framers than me on here. So my advice would be try to find a well looked after used morso and good luck with your new venture
Peter
Norfolk Red

Post by Norfolk Red »

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Peter thankyou for the advice and the offer of help.

I dont see me making frames for a living at the moment,but will make some for myself (when I get a Morso) to practice on, and for beads,trims etc in my cabinetry work so I am no threat to the fellow framers of Norfolk :D

Thanks again people.

Mark.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. I hope that you'll enjoy getting to know us all.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum. Good Luck with your search they are a bit like rocking horse Sh*t at the moment. Try giving Neil Stout Framingengineer.com a shout he is a forum member and as his name suggests an engineer. He sometimes has morso's in or may be able to point you in the right direction.