Best place to Advertise vacancies

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Daveyl3
Organisation: theprintspace
Interests: Framing

Best place to Advertise vacancies

Post by Daveyl3 »

Hopefully someone can help me. I am struggling to find experienced framers. Where is the best place to post recruitment ads for framers?
Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Dave
Roboframer

Re: Best place to Advertise vacancies

Post by Roboframer »

They're few and far between - (not experienced framers; unemployed experienced framers) but you've just placed an ad in a pretty good place - here :D

I've only properly advertised for a framer once and that was in the Brighton Argus ... which wouldn't be much good to you of course, but like many popular local papers one of the editions - Thursday I think, is the 'jobs' edition. Maybe you have a paper like that?

I had scores of CVs, plus a jobs website (I forget the name of) picked it up and put it on their site for free - sent an email asking that I remember them next time I want to advertise a vacancy - I got scores of CVs from that too! But out of them all there were only 3 with experience and two of them got that experience in the USA.
Daveyl3

Post by Daveyl3 »

Hi Robo
Thanks for the reply. We are based in London. Ive tried the evening standard and metro newspapers job sections but no joy. Total jobs website never turned up anyone either. I will try putting a post on the wanted section here again and see. Dave
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

What about taking on a trainee? In the time it takes you to find someone with experience you could perhaps train someone and by training them yourselves you would be teaching them your to do the tasks you specifically want.

I wouldn't mind betting there is some government funding available in these days of high unemployment in the younger age range.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

The two best framers I employed were both fresh out of art foundation college. Both were young enough to want to learn and both had an interest in art which I think helps.

However I do employ anyone now I just buy machines :lol:
Daveyl3

Post by Daveyl3 »

Thanks for you replies.
I was starting to think that the best thing may be to employ a university leaver with a bit of get up and go.
prospero

Post by prospero »

It could be argued that it is probably better to get someone with no knowledge at all of framing than someone with experience. As long as they have a basic aptitude for the work and are enthusiastic then they will learn fast. And more importantly, will learn your ways. No danger of bringing possible iffy methods with them. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

Daveyl3 wrote:Thanks for you replies.
I was starting to think that the best thing may be to employ a university leaver with a bit of get up and go.
Are we to become yet another graduate only profession?
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i have a guy working for me pt who used to work in tescos

now he is a photographer as a hobby

he has never done it before, but is very very keen, learning quickly
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

I agree with taking on someone with aptitude rather than being "experienced". In what was my day job until I packed it in, we wanted a refrigeration engineer who was used to industrial machines. Very rare commodity. We went through all of the usual recruitment channels plus advertising locally. The company came up with a short list of people who were very well qualified but not much experience. I persuaded them to take someone "off the tools" who was not as well qualified but had a lot of practical experience. He was brilliant and is with the company to this day.

On the point of government grants, I believe that there are subsidies for taking on an apprentice, which is quite good. Not sure of the support package but well worth looking into. I would support Grays and STCSTC's route in looking for someone with art experience who you can train up without the "experience"
EmmaS
Organisation: none
Interests: Reading, art, studying

Post by EmmaS »

Hi Dave,
This is an old post now so hopefully you've found someone but I thought I'd chip in anyway. I was recently a framer looking for work with no idea where to find vacancies advertised - makes sense if you guys don't even know where to post them either! I trawled gumtree which I think is pretty good and routinely checked framer's windows thinking you guys might just stick up an old fashioned 'help wanted' sign, so maybe that's an idea (though neither of these methods actually found me my current job so I'm probably talking rubbish!)
One final note - I might be moving to London later in the year so if you're still looking then post another ad on this forum and I'll come dazzle you with my skills!
Best wishes, Emma
Sans_Voir
Organisation: Framer
Interests: Photography, Photomanipulation, Leather Design

Post by Sans_Voir »

Hi colleagues! I'm looking for a job,I'm working with all kinds of moulding.Mount and frame cutting, frame joining,mounting, assembly and hand-finishing skills including painting, liming and staining,moulding cutting,canvas stretching,board cutting,finish making,distance making,oval board cutting . Mirror and Glass cutting. Memorabilia and Icon-making.All most all machines installation.