One small step...

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
iamzero
Organisation: From home
Interests: Art and music.

One small step...

Post by iamzero »

Just thought make my first post on here since joining and reading throught the threads. Looking to get into this framing as a hobby as I've framed images for a while with pre bought frames but have decided to try and make my on frames from now on as I have been buying 'urban art' for a while and have realised how much they're going to cost me to frame to conservation standard.

So the image I've posted is my first attempt at float mounting and building a frame, not happy with the mitre saw cuts so I'm now considering a morso. Big outlay on ebay I know but I am a sucker for detail.

So hello from me.

Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Re: One small step...

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Welcome to the forum iamzero

Well done on your first frame. A really good job!

That's way way better than my first one, I had to use half a pot of nail hole filler to try to re-build the corners after I had attacked it with the mitre saw!

Cheaper than going for a Morso, you could consider a mitre trimmer like this http://www.framerscorner.co.uk/uk/shop/ ... mer?cid=49 which lets you tidy up the cut after you have sawn it.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
iamzero

Post by iamzero »

Thanks for the positive comment. I looked at the framers corner one last week when I poped over as I live really close by. I have one of their underpinners but wondered if I'd outgrow the guillotine too quickly and would be stuck with something that wouldn't sell as easily as the morso? I have a stack of urban art prints that need framing and are really annoying me flattening out in the portfolio.
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Welcome to the forum!

Although can't see to closely it looks a good job to say its on a mitre saw- Is that the inside of the frame painted or a coloured spacer?
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Post by Gus »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Lots of advice and information is available via the search tools on here, if you can't find what you are looking for - ask and someone is sure to have an answer.

I started with a saw and guillotine.. Good results but slow. The morso is definitely the way to go IMHO. In the meantime, have you considered using the chop service offered by most of the companies. A bit more expensive than buying by the length but no waste (or errors!).
iamzero

Post by iamzero »

Again thanks for the comments. The internal blue is a mountboard spacer fixed to foamboard with ATG tape and the the same tape was used to fix that to the inside of the moulding. Not sure if this is a normal method but for me this is a trial and error thing right now as the screen print is not of any real worth but my 8 year old niece loves it so this is a present for her birthday.

I float mounted the print using the method described in the Lionpic PDF I found from trawling through the web for the last few months, I've used Hayaku tape and DI water as a test to see if I dare frame some of my more exclusive artwork this way and it wasn't as hard as I expecteded it to be although this is only small.

I have seen the chop service but as I've already bought a pile of moulding from a visit to Mainline it would seem a shame for it to go to waste... in at the deep end I say. I'm keen to learn this as I've seen some beautiful and effective frames put together by a guy called MFM on another forum I visit, I basically wanted to frame my own items after speaking to lots of framers that didn't fill me will any confidence about conservation framing.

I found my mitre saw gives me a pretty clean cut but can be a slight inconsistant I'm guessing from swinging the saw from one 45 degree to the next, but also didn't chip the coating on the moulding anywhere near as much as I thought it would... nothing that a touch of colorfill didn't put right. I'm watching a few morso's on ebay right now and am holding out for that elusive bargain one to set me of and running.
Ryan Montgomery
Organisation: None
Interests: Photography

Post by Ryan Montgomery »

I use a mitre trimmer myself, I had a little trouble with it but once my Brother the engineer had a look and used some odd looking tools he had the blades as close to 45 degrees as it will ever be and my corners are spot on.

It does take longer, about 15 minutes to make a frame, cut the glass and backing and another 5 to assemble & tape up. It's perfect for the small number that I do.