Hello from a Three Dimensional Framer.

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Hello from a Three Dimensional Framer.

Post by A3DFramer »

Hello to members of this forum, in advance I wish to apologize, if that is necessary, as I am a retired.
As I was a 3D framer, I still try to keep in touch with methods and objectives of the craft.

To this end I am learning to model in 3 dimension with the virtual reality of my PC, so that I am able to create some of the products I used to make on a hard drive. :xcomputer:

I should like to exchange ideas and keep in touch with the trade and this is the reason I am introducing myself.
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Re: Hello from a Three Dimensional Framer.

Post by YPF »

Hello and welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find plenty on here about current methods.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Welcome aboard, A3DFramer.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi A3D. :D I've one a bit of 3D modelling on PC. :D What software are you using?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

Thanks for your welcoming posts, Steve and John and your interest, Prospero in 3D modelling. I use Sketch-up and for a time I had access to Sketch-up pro, but this gave me access to to a bit more that I did not use, by persisting with the free version I think I have learnt how to get more out of the tools. I only became computer literate after retirement, as my partner was the IT part of our business. I then doctor the images I capture from the models with fairly basic photo shop.

I think it is quicker to frame a picture with miter guillotine and underpinner than in virtual reality, but once you have the file it can be used again and again at not cost.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I made a whole virtual shop. 8)

It's was done using a video game engine. Hence the little dwarfy guy. I'm taller and the cat is a torty and more hairy.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

That's great and the rendering is pretty good, I suppose using a gaming engine you are able to create movement, which is something I would like to do with sketch-up but the software costs, although I have been using the demo versions. My old computer, which I have learnt most of my modelling techniques on, was too slow to cope with the demand of this software, anyway it has recently expired and I am now trying to come to terms with Windows 7 and moving all my files over to a new HD. So it may be some time before I can start posting examples.

The advantage of sketch-up is doing everything to scale and being able to take measurements and re-scale. So if I make a case and re-scale it I can explode it into the individual components.
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

I have now recovered some of my material from my old H-drive;

The image here is one of a series of 100 which are illustrating part of a procedure for combining an Victorian/Edwardian method with a modern method of putting a lightweight glass case into a picture frame. Each item on and including the work surface are individual 3d models, from which the jpg image is taken. I believe and can put together quite complex procedures, which I demonstrated and trained people within my workshop.

Part of my introduction is to see how far the interest on a Picture Framing Forum extends to this form of 3D Framing.