A recent project using silver leaf

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Geoff

A recent project using silver leaf

Post by Geoff »

Hope this is useful to someone in the future.
Attachments
A recent request.JPG
A recent request.JPG (129.72 KiB) Viewed 5783 times
Graysalchemy

Re: A recent project using silver leaf

Post by Graysalchemy »

More praise again from me I am loving these frames :clap: :clap:
Vince442
Organisation: Alchemy Art & Framing Ltd
Interests: Art, photography, architecture, bonsai, travelling

Post by Vince442 »

Yes indeed....excellent stuff!!
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Impressive stuff. :clap: :clap:

Has anyone written a book on the subject of hand finished frames? I would buy one.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Strange you mention a book dealing with frames finishes. I am in the process in doing exactly that which is going very well the past months. Would also like to include articles in making certain types of frames too. I don't use an underpinner on any of my frames, not that I have anything against them, It's just what I prefer to do. I use a variety of other joining methods depending on the frame.
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Very useful Geoff, thanks for sharing. A book on the subject would be very well received! :D
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Other details can be enhanced using this finish ie: using a hair dryer to quickly dry the surface, flicked with salt and of course, using a different ground can change the appearance quite dramatically. Also the strength can be varied too. On certain projects I have left it overnight to really bit into the silver with lovely results. Remember to use the chemical in a well ventilated area, quite pongy! Experiment and develop something to your own liking. Lots of people like this finish!
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

Interesting finish and most impressive, would liver of Sulphur be a solution of Hydrogen Sulphide. I am trying to put together a comprehensive collection of methods of making glass cases and such finishes would of be of interest. I am trying to remember what the aging solution for copper foil is as I am work on the graphics for The Tiffany glass method of making a glass cover.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

It is a metastable mixture of potassium sulphides and potassium sulphate. Plenty of information on the 'net if you google "liver of sulphur"
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

A3DFramer wrote:Interesting finish and most impressive, would liver of Sulphur be a solution of Hydrogen Sulphide. I am trying to put together a comprehensive collection of methods of making glass cases and such finishes would of be of interest. I am trying to remember what the aging solution for copper foil is as I am work on the graphics for The Tiffany glass method of making a glass cover.
Liver of Sulphur will also have a similar effect on copper and brass. There are numerous ways to age both metals, vinegar and salt is a simple one. Experiment and find a method that suits your need. If you water gild schlagg leaf (different size reqd)as you would gold etc., apply your finish to the leaf when ready. wait until the desire effect is as you need, use a cloth with a small amount of rottenstone and polish the surface removing what you need for the effect you have in mind. Burnish with an agate if required, or seal with an appropriate sealer if a brighter finish isn't required.
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

Thanks for those quick answers, copied and pasted into my research file. I do not think likely that I will be putting the techniques into practice as I am no longer in business, anno domine rather than financial reasons, but like Geoff said, he hopes others find it useful. I am working on a website to show how the many, many methods of making transparent covers hopefull will be of use to others.
Having come into this area of technology late in life, advancement is slow and laborious, and the quick riposte into google has yet to become a natural reflex :Slap: .
It is good to see here finishes, that one recognizes from catalogues over the years explained and illustrated :clap:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Nice job! Like you say, it's pongs a bit.

These old names of chemical compounts are really interesting. Liver of sulphur was used a lot at one time in the antique furniture and fittings business. Butter of antimony was another one, which was used in furniture restoration business, but that's really dangerous stuff, with very serious health and safety concerns. Other names which come to mind include Sal Ammoniac, Dragons Blood, etc.

There's some nice things you can do to bare wood with chemicals as well. Nitric acid applied with steel wood and heated with a blow lamp is an interesting one, which creates some colourful effects on the wood, but you need some personal protection and a well ventiled area for doing this. This looks good on nicely figured hardwoods, but the fumes can be rather unpleasant, if you don't take care!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer