Newbie from Aylesbury!

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
gallery thirty one
Organisation: gallery thirty one
Interests: Photography

Newbie from Aylesbury!

Post by gallery thirty one »

Hi all!

Have been lurking for a while and thought I should introduce myself before I start asking you all annoying questions!

Currently I have a small shop in Aylesbury unlocking and repairing phones but as my supply chain is so filthy and unreliable it was time to do something else.

My wife and I are very keen photographers and a few weeks back we decided to print and mount a lot of our wildlife / nature photos to sell at a local craft fair. It was too windy to setup so we went back to the shop, stripped the slatwall completely of ancient mobile phone accessories and filled a wall with prints instead!

To cut a long story short, since then we have decided to make a go of it whilst also introducing a framing service at the same time, have been on a training course in Wales, are currently gutting and redecorating the shop to turn it into a gallery, the back office is being turned into a workshop and web domain has been registered ready to go!

It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride already, have bought a load of old moulding stock dirt cheap, our idea of turning 2x spare 8' x 4' sheets of slatwall into a workbench was going well until we bought 2x A0 plan chests for just over £20 so we are making workbenches out of those instead, spare small bits of slatwall have made a perfect racking system for the mouldings and loads of sleepless nights researching tools and of course this forum!

We are very much looking forward to the future now and I'm sure that the great little community you have going here will be most helpful to us in the coming months so I will thank you all in advance!

Regards

Danny
:D
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Newbie from Aylesbury!

Post by David McCormack »

Hello Danny and welcome.

Lots of advice here and support, ask away, it's what I do :D

Photography has always been my thing having worked in weddings and in commercial pro labs but left all that behind and retrained as a dispensing optician. But after 10 years of selling glasses I missed being creative so got back into my photography. I love making monochrome landscapes and now have a framing workshop too. My wife also left the health service and retrained in horticulture and we are now both self employed and have never looked back!

So go for it! Good luck to you both :yes:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Welcome to the forum! :D

Good luck and best wishes with your new venture.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Danny. :D

You sound like you are having fun. :P

Keep up the good work.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

Hi Danny, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're having fun and as you progress you'll probably find yourself making even more changes to your workshop with the addition of new pieces of kit. Good luck with the framing.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
gallery thirty one
Organisation: gallery thirty one
Interests: Photography

Post by gallery thirty one »

Many thanks to you all for the warm welcome, it's very much appreciated.

As a complete novice, I hope I do not annoy you all too much!

Danny.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Danny,

Welcome to the forum. May I wish you success in your framing venture.

Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Danny welcome :D
You will find this forum a huge source of help
I notice David mentions monochrome pictures....
On my travels one very successful photographer / framer I have come across is Giles Norman..
http://www.gilesnorman.com/store/
Some of his prices blow my mind - but it seems the tourists visiting his shop in Kinsale are happy to get out the plastic.

Steve Crozier aka stcstc - Dublin will probably disagrree :giggle: - but he's entitled to :o This is an open forum :o
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg