Hi from Coventry

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
ChrisJ
Organisation: Mootcom
Interests: Framing, Art, Film, Music.

Hi from Coventry

Post by ChrisJ »

Hello everyone I'm just getting started and found this great resource, so thank you all. Got myself a Kimberley from Lion and have just taken delivery of my first set of chops. So am a little nervous. My better half has got a commission for a restaurant, so I'm hopefully going to do her work justice with some nice frames and mounts. So on that note how many vnails would you use on a 70mm wood moulding (610 x 610 glass size)? Oh, I'm going to be cutting the glass as well, so even more nervous!
Mary
Organisation: Portra
Interests: painting

Re: Hi from Coventry

Post by Mary »

Hi Chris, I'm a newb as well :) I originate from Leicester so not far from you once upon a time

Have you got some lengths of offcut or cheap moulding for practising with the underpinner? it takes a little bit of a knack and it could be expensive if your learning curve was on 'best stuff' :wink: I have a stack of teeny tiny frames I made this way - horrendous corners on the first few, but they get better. Have fun with the new kit
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Welcome to the Forum.

My wife and I are both originally from Coventry.

Now live in Sunny (read wet) Cornwall and loving it.
John GCF
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I would use 5. I always do the outer one first then the inner wedge next. Others may do it differently, but that works for me a treat!
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Thanks for the welcome. :D My wifes from Coventry, I originate from Liverpool. We met at what was Liverpool Polytechnic many years ago! Will certainly be trying out on some offcuts first as Mary suggested and pinning the outside first as fusionframer suggested.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome Chris. :D

Depends a lot on the shape of the moulding how many and where-to-put v-nails. If you have quite a big glue area on the mitre and the frame isn't too big, then you don't need to use too many nailing positions. The main strength is in the glue. The v-nails are mainly to grip the joint while the glue sets and to hold the frame together in the event of catastrophic failure. Falling to bits completely that is. :o
One in the back and one in the front should do it. Maybe one in the middle for peace of mind. Can you stack them on your machine? Bear in mind that if you put too many in, it can actually start to weaken the join.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

Thanks for that prospero. It seems like a large surface area to me. Pic attached. I don't think I can stack them it's only a hand operated underpinner.
Attachments
Napoli 206 from Lion
Napoli 206 from Lion
napoli-L206.gif (2.36 KiB) Viewed 4126 times