Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
FFrames
Organisation: TBD
Interests: Art

New Premises Found!

Post by FFrames »

Well I finally found a property and have had my offer accepted! Thought I'd be happy about it, but feeling more anxious then anything :| Gonna be asking a million questions to get some advice from ye olde ones :wink:

Here's some pics of the building.. It's ground floor and basement.. 600sq/ft each floor.

Only thing is there's no heating or air con, so that's a bit of a worry... Especially for the production area downstairs... Don't want to be running a sweatshop :P

Ultima Thule
Organisation: retail framer
Interests: reading ,real ale, music

Re: New Premises Found!

Post by Ultima Thule »

All the best- keep us posted, and I'm sure any questions will get plenty of replies.
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

Wishing you all the best with your new project.

which part of London?

Ian
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The internal layout looks good and with windows onto two streets, the display to sell potential looks like it should be good too!

If it's an economically favourable locality, then you could be set for success.

May I wish you a successful future,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
FFrames

Post by FFrames »

Many thanks!

It's in the East End, near Old Street.. The road used to have a proper eastenders style market on it a few years back, but now it's mainly cafe's and little independants.... They're looking to bring the market back though, but with a more selective choice of stands.

Here's the google street view of it.. http://goo.gl/maps/NF3Ra
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

7 min walk from D&J Simons!

Looks like a busy area, lots of variety. Good luck.
FFrames

Post by FFrames »

Roboframer wrote:7 min walk from D&J Simons!

Looks like a busy area, lots of variety. Good luck.
Yup :) Should be handy! Never use em before but think I'll have a look now... Always nice to support local businesses and all!
FFrames

Post by FFrames »

Oh yeah... That bin in front of the shop is gonna bug me! Anyone know if you can get local councils to move things like that?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Careful you don't get yourself put in the 'No Quotes' group :giggle:

Use the bin as a 4-sided advertising board, and the lamp post .... and those bollards!
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Better than kebab left in your doorway, It is a busy area, at least it was last time I visited D and J Simons, you should do well.
FFrames

Post by FFrames »

Roboframer wrote:Careful you don't get yourself put in the 'No Quotes' group :giggle:

Use the bin as a 4-sided advertising board, and the lamp post .... and those bollards!
The lampost is pretty! I can live with that :P
FFrames

Post by FFrames »

IFGL wrote:Better than kebab left in your doorway, It is a busy area, at least it was last time I visited D and J Simons, you should do well.
Well... It pretty much is! spoke to the neighbouring kebeb shop about rubish collections and he just said he sticks it an a bag and leaves it by that bin there (pointing at the bin in front of the shop) :head: He wont be doing that for long!
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Hey, cool looking place - really looking forward to seeing/hearing the updates ! :)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I am in that no quotes group I have just seen that others are able to post quotes :evil: :evil:

Admin pm'd me 6 months ago to ask why i was not posting, with stunts like that its no suprise I don't post as often anymore.

:evil: :evil:
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

My workshop is in a basement and being underground keeps a really even temperature. In the summer it is the coolest place in the shop and in the winter easy to keep warm. Be sure that there is no damp though, you might need a de-humidifier.
BaBaZa
Organisation: http://www.mainlinemouldings.com
Interests: Pubs

Post by BaBaZa »

Congratulations. Great display space
Ricky @ Mainline Mouldings Ltd

Twitter #MainlinePolcore
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Looks a good slot to me. I would move the bin to the alleyway and put it at the edge of the pavement slap bang in the middle of the alleyway. Its 'elf & safety (to stop cyclists nipping out into the road) Its probably where it is because of the road markings which suggest that the collection lorry can stop on the yellows and with the minimum of movement from the operative, be loaded into the bin lorry. Any further towards the kebab shop would be an issue due to having to move the bin a further 6 feet :roll:
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Are you into Urban Art?

Most of the Urban Art publishers are based around there (as you probably know) so could well be a great location.
FFrames

Post by FFrames »

Yes I am! I've actually worked as an artist for 10 years so I'm hoping the art sales side of the business will do well... gotta show off your frames so may aswell have some good art in them huh?
I haven't put too high an expectation on that in my business plan though.. I'll be mainly pushing the printing and framing aspect initially and then re-evalute after 2-3 years. It will be a hard juggling act to start as I don't really want one market to detract from another.. It's like combining 3 businesses in one :shock:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I used to know the area from when I worked in the recording studio technical support business about 25 years ago. Old Street is a really great location in a thriving commercial area. There was lots of advertising and graphics studios in that area, so it should be a great location for getting commercial work.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer