Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Foamcore Spacers on large prints

Post by Bagpuss »

I have a limited Edition Peter Blake print to do at the moment, it's quite large, 101 x 122cm and because of this I am using 4.4mm waterwhite laminated glass. I have hinged it around the edges onto a sheet of 5mm Foamcore. As you can see from the photo, the moulding is quite chunky with a 3cm rebate. I am not putting a mount around it but want to put a spacer of about 12mm between the glass and the print. I would normally stick 5mm foamcore into the rebate to use as a spacer but now I'm wondering if I should use something a bit more robust, given the weight of the glass.
mono_0002.jpg
mono_0002.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
Any suggestions what I should use and with regards to the laminated glass, would it be a good idea to secure it within the frame with some clear silicon adhesive perhaps ?
Thanks in advance,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Foamcore Spacers on large prints

Post by pramsay13 »

What about a wooden spacer with a white finish on it, or even a small narrow moulding.
I wouldn't bother with silicone as there can be problems with fumes given off. Don't think you'll need anything if the spacer is robust.
FFrames
Organisation: TBD
Interests: Art

Post by FFrames »

Could also use the econspacers from Lion.. They come in white or clear and you just stick them to the edges of the glass...

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/EconoS ... 120,0.aspx
bilalshreif
Organisation: Lollipopart
Interests: Framing, Conservation framing, fine art reproduction , fine art printing

Post by bilalshreif »

I usually use econospace from Lion or cut a mountboard to the size i need and glue it to the frame, you can glue 3 stripes of mountboards together for more rigidity.
Also you can use 4mm PVC Forex stripes cut to the size of the frame and in 12 mm width and glue them above the glass.
Good luck
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Due to the weight of the glass I would use a 9mm wooden spacer either painted or covered with mountboard
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I wouldn't use a rebate spacer on glass that heavy, especially a foam board one, there's very little area of support. I'd be looking at an inner and outer frame with the glass between them. Better still I wouldn't be looking at heavy glass either, but acrylic.

Another thing, if the print is not dry mounted or otherwise stuck down, and I'm not for a second suggesting you do that, the spacers will trap it and prevent movement just like taping all the way around and the thing could buckle; over that area I'd be surprised if it didn't.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I got the idea you had float-mounted it so that the edges were visible. As Robo points out, no way should you have the edges of the print under the spacers. It will buckle and once it has, it would be a serious job to flatten it again.
Also, I would be very wary of using a moulding that size on it's own to support everything. There just isn't enough meat in it to get a strong enough join. Even if you use acrylic glazing.
Using thick glass isn't going to make it stronger, just increasing the risk of catastrophe. I would be quite happy with 2mm glass for that size as long as the frame was stronger. Or had a subframe.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Bagpuss wrote: a spacer of about 12mm between the glass and the print.
Sounds like the spacer would be on the print.
prospero wrote:I would be very wary of using a moulding that size on it's own to support everything
Ditto.
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Hmmm, good advice Gents . I seem to be getting more of these "big" jobs these days ( big for me anyway ) and I often get old movie posters which I would put a spacer in front of. Given that the print edges are not on show and and I hinge the print around the perimeter using Hayaku tape, can anyone suggest an appropriate white subframe that would not encroach too much onto the print ( the Peter Blake signature is about 2cm from the bottom of the print )..

Customers always seem to want a thin frame around a big poster and they take some convincing about the need for a chunkier frame :head:

Thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
prospero

Post by prospero »

There is one way that might do the trick. I'll have to do a doodle..... stand by. :P

I agree that posters can look good with a minimal frame. Pity they are so huge. If it's acceptable I would always drimount them. Valuable prints are different matter though. They really need a window mount. I realise that big ones create all sorts of problems, not least the logistics of getting oversize materials.
prospero

Post by prospero »

This uses a matching spacer on it's side. It does protrude past the sight edge, but unless you have a very wide rebate there is a way round that.
The thin strip of board (2ply should be enough on most things) lifts the spacer and while the edges are covered, they aren't crimped. Quite fine measurements are called for. The print needs a bit of elbow room.

The subframe is optional up to a certain point. You could reinforce the corners with L plates and hope. But it would allow you to use a very narrow-faced moulding on a giant poster.

Sorry for scribbly drawing. :oops:
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

GOD BLESS YOU !! :clap:

Only on The Framers Forum can you get such speedy, expert advice, an excellent suggestion Prospero, I'll nick that one :rock:

MANY THANKS, ONE AND ALL !