Backing Board - Kraftboard v MDF

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
wrxsti555
Organisation: ventons
Interests: work,cars,wife,kids n wine !!!!

Re: Backing Board - Kraftboard v MDF

Post by wrxsti555 »

Sorry but i'm a bit confused. Tudor Rose & Roboframer were having a massive gripe @ Kwik picture framing.Can only presume they don't like the guy.He stated a pure fact. As for MDF / solid boards/ fluted boards. All the paper based boards come from a very select few. All get DOWNGRADED. Yes MDF is ?????????????????? floor sweepings ! BUT, there are various types. LMFAO. Some want it shiny ,so it repels water, some dull, like Medite, cos it's easier cut. I will add loads more later.!!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

No "massive gripe" - Tudor Rose simply said that the thread starter had already stated in the opening post that MDF was cheaper and was asking if he had more to contribute. I stated an opinion that most regulars share (apologies for omitting the "IMHO")

Anyway - I don't see backing board as protection from bad handling, although I do believe foam board with a 4 ply undermount will actually provide SOME. The front is more important; 99% of stuff will have glass, not acrylic and subject to the same bad handling that would pierce a foam board back, the glass would probably shatter and damage the artwork; who's not seen that?

What about canvasses - who backs those? Yep, me :-) (not all, e.g. your average HK oil) There's another fisticuff topic, backing or even worse, GLAZING oils :shock:
prospero

Post by prospero »

:P Now that corrugated stuff is good for backing canvases. Nice and light. :D Although generally I do this of frames that are going to get moved about a lot. Once on the wall to stay the backing can come off as canvases need to breathe.

I'll git me coat. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

fight fight fight fight fight fight fight fight fight fight fight fight fight fight
Trillian
Organisation: Considering the options. Again!
Interests: Changes on a daily basis, but I'm never without a book to read.

Post by Trillian »

Prospero you are absolutely correct, you have seen brown-faced foamcore. Lion sell it:

prospero

Post by prospero »

:Slap: So they do. Not too dear either. Pity it's only 40x30". :(
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
VaNgae4to
Organisation: Account clerk
Interests: furniture making, design

Post by VaNgae4to »

pmdavies33 wrote: Tue 09 Sep, 2014 5:03 pm Can anyone give some thoughts on backing boards?

I currently use Kraftboard and find it incredibly easy to use but MDF, which I usually buy here https://sheetmaterialswholesale.co.uk/ of the same thickness works out a lot cheaper. Are there any benefits of continuing to use Kraftboard or would MDF provide the same benefits but at cheaper cost?
I thenk you wont lost anything, If you chose MDF.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I definitely a personal choice and a lot depends on how important price vs quality is an issue for your own particular bussiness. I like kraf tboard myself, but I also stock two different grades of kraft board and stock some grey board as well. Grey board is quite useful for packing and things like that. I ulso find it useful for covering bench tops. Sometimes, the decision does not have to be either, or. Stocking a bit of variety, can give you some flexibility as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Why quote and so call answer a post that is over 6 years old :roll: :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

I wonder how many others read this and thought - Roboframer & IFGL are now back on here :?:
And then looked at the date 2014 and suddenly it all became clear :Slap:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg