D&J Simons?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
cebrooker
Organisation: Blunty's Mill B&B
Interests: Sport, signature collection, looking to start framing.

D&J Simons?

Post by cebrooker »

Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone had any comments on D&J Simons? I have just had the rep out and as far as I can see, they are DIRT CHEAP on mouldings and even cheaper on mountboard. While I love a bargain, I am aware that if something sounds too good to be true, it normally is and you normally get what you pay for! At the moment I am using Arqadia mountboard and mouldings from Wessex Pictures. Simons are coming in at about 40% lower...
Thanks
prospero

Re: D&J Simons?

Post by prospero »

The thing to watch with mouldings is that there may be several 'versions' of the same pattern. Same as anything else, someone will make it cheaper. Not saying that Simons are prone to stocking 'knock-offs'. No more than anyone else anyway..... :wink: Two mouldings may look the same (almost), but one might be a breeze to cut and join and the other a PITA. So the cheap one may end up more expensive because of wastage and excessive touching up.
Thing is to try a small amount and try it out. I don't get much stuff from Simons, but haven't had any bad stuff lately. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I use Simons on a regular basis and many of the mouldings are good quality and good value for money as well, but I have learnt over time which mouldings I like and which ones I don't, according to my own needs and preferences. Regardless of which suppliers you use, all suppliers have some mouldings which are better, or worse than others and you need to find the ones that work best for you.

Ask your rep to show you some samples and perhaps order some samples to make your own chevrons from. If the quality looks good and they cut and join well, then that's a good start. I guess that the real test is your experience with any particular moulding over time. I use quite a lot of barewood mouldings, so the mix of mouldings that I buy is not going to be the same as many other framers, but I have been buying from Simons for over ten years and I'm still using ordering from them, sometimes more than once a week.

Unfortunately, there won't be any framing suppliers exhibiting at the NEC Spring Fair in 2015, so it is no longer possible to go to one place and look at all the different suppliers products all in one place. This means that you need to ask questions and request samples to find out the answers for yourself. I'm sorry to say this, but finding out which suppliers and which products are best for you is more of a process, that an instant thing.

There is a saying about trying before you buy and I think that this is probably the right way to approach this issue. Some much in this business is dependant upon learning and experience and the same applies here too!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cebrooker
Organisation: Blunty's Mill B&B
Interests: Sport, signature collection, looking to start framing.

Post by cebrooker »

Thanks folks.
I think I will stick with Wessex for the time being. They have been pretty good to me so far...
canvasideas
Organisation: Love To Frame
Interests: photography, wine, food, cooking, the occasional real ale in an old English pub

Post by canvasideas »

I use Centrado - There spectra mounts are cost effective and quality
They tend to price match on mouldings as well