Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

Spring Fair

Post by guzzijim »

Members of this forum have in previous years attended the Spring Fair, I can see why, many of the major framing suppliers were in attendance, this year there seems few if any.
Graysalchemy

Re: Spring Fair

Post by Graysalchemy »

Its dead in the water a poor shadow of its former self and it has been so for about 7 yrs IMHO.

Guess what I won't be going. :giggle: :giggle:
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We're giving it a miss for the first time since we set up our business. Last year we spent most time out of the framing section, this time there just isn't any point going.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I will be going, mainly to see some of my customers that have stands there, gets me out too.
GUNNAR

Post by GUNNAR »

Hi Everyone

We will be exhibiting in Hall 1 - stand J50 and we will be launching an exciting new solution- All I can tell you right now is that it comes in a very large cardboard box.

Further details will follow.

Regards

Sarah/GUNNAR
Kevlar
Organisation: Ani Evans Photography
Interests: Framing, Photography, Golf, Travel, Motorbikes etc

Post by Kevlar »

Hi Sarah, Ani and I will see you there, hope to see something special appearing out of that darned box that keeps popping up everywhere lol. Shame there will be few suppliers, but gives us a chance to look at other product options than just frames for our photography business. :D
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I haven't ruled out the possibilty of going and looking at other product halls for ideas. If we go, my wife and I will probably make it part of a short break. If the weather is horrible, we won't bother!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GUNNAR

Post by GUNNAR »

Hi Ani and Kev

Look forward to seeing you there!

Regards

Sarah/GUNNAR
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Hadn't seen this posting before Christmas, I just discovered today that neither LION or D.J. Simons will be there, what a shame,
I'll be there though, I'm visiting a friend that weekend in Sutton Coldfield so thought I'd pop in and have a mooch round, it gets me out of the house ... :clap:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
petersframing
Organisation: Ashford Middlesex
Interests: Photography,Framing,holidays ,family.

Post by petersframing »

I have registered but it does not seam that there will be any suppliers of framing interest.would those going indicate so that I can justify going.
for me it is quite a long trip.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

From the FATG .....

"Artists and publishers will be exhibiting their wares in Hall 1, which is branded 'Home', but there will not be a discrete framing and art section this year, nor any seminars or workshops.

Framing suppliers taking part include Fujifilm, who will be showing Wunderbars and other canvas frame concepts. Visitors to Gunnar's stand will have the chance to test drive the latest computerised mountcutter. Other exhibitors will be selling ready-made photo frames and framed art, such as HHJ Trading and Addison-Ross.
Leading artists and publishers include Buckingham Fine Art, Kerry Darlington, McDonald Ralph, Artko and Art Marketing"

I wouldn't call Fujifilm a framing supplier.

Seems like a waste of time if your main business is framing, unless you're thinking about a CMC.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

.....or your looking for some new stuff to put on ya wall, if your going look out for Jill Ray Landscapes, she has some rather good new stuff, it's selling very well for us.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Quote FATG:-

Leading artists and publishers include Buckingham Fine Art, Kerry Darlington, McDonald Ralph, Artko and Art Marketing

Wow if they think that they are leading artists and publishers shows what a sorry state this industry is in.

Plenty of better artists and publishers than that list. :giggle: :giggle:
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

Happy New Year all,

Been awhile since I posted or visited here... honestly been very busy, coming off of a record December in our shop. :wink: Happy Dance!

I just returned from five days at the Atlanta Gift Market (the Largest in the US, with three buildings and total square footage about twice the Spring Fair). Next week, Sarah and I head to theWCAF Expo and PPFA Convention in Las Vegas for their four day event (The sole remaining show in the U.S. is as most of you know, more about education with the trade show secondary). WCAF Expo Agenda of Events

When I saw the FATG newsletter announcing the changes at the Spring Fair, I was saddened. Indeed exhibiting at trade fairs is expensive, but when the country doesn't support the primary and only venue, of course it is bound to disappear. Sure...it had been diminishing over the past ten years, but most of the major suppliers were still there in 2013 and 2014. Sorry...I find this just sad. :? I will miss it - without this vehicle to connect...to touch new products... to share with fellow framers face-to-face, something is lost. (Emails and forums are NOT the same!)

If our retail business (40% custom framing and 60% gifts) were located in the UK, it would be a "no-brainer" - we would be at the Spring Fair.

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
prospero

Post by prospero »

Extract from an e-mail just landed......

"It is with sadness that I have to announce that Wessex Pictures, after 25 years of shows, will not be attending the Spring Fair in 2015.

Due to falling attendances by framers and the dwindling number of exhibitors it has become increasingly uneconomical both on our time and financially."

So it's all our fault. :Slap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

If you was the framer that asked Sheridon Davies from http://www.sheridondavies.com/ to complement his framer, he did, and thank you for your nice comments.
FlagshipFraming
Organisation: Flagship Framing
Interests: Flagship Framing are one of the UK's leading suppliers of wooden picture frame mouldings.
Location: Unit 3, Roseville Business Park, Roseville Road, Leeds, LS8 5DR

Post by FlagshipFraming »

prospero wrote:Extract from an e-mail just landed......

"It is with sadness that I have to announce that Wessex Pictures, after 25 years of shows, will not be attending the Spring Fair in 2015.

Due to falling attendances by framers and the dwindling number of exhibitors it has become increasingly uneconomical both on our time and financially."

So it's all our fault. :Slap:
I know from a recent meeting with Martin at Wessex that they do not believe this to be the framers fault!

Wessex have plans to spend their budget on a number of regional roadshow events where they can focus their efforts on framers who are really interested in the products. I know that they have already done this locally in the South West and the feedback has been very good so far.