Superb crisis support from Simons

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Superb crisis support from Simons

Post by Not your average framer »

The wedge loading constant tension spring broke in my CS-88 during the Christmas shutdown period and this put the machine (and myself) out of action. Aparently these don't fail very often, but mine did.

I could not order a new spring until monday this week when suppliers return after the Christmas shutdown. So I ordered the spring on Monday from Joe in machinery at Simons and it arrived first thing on Tuesday, but unfortunately I mangled it when I tried to fit it and found a couple of other thing which needed fixing at the same time.

To cut a long story short, I needed to strip the machine, work out what other spare parts I ought to order to bring everything back to how it should be and then reassemble it. Not a difficult task, but I was getting behind with customers work and time is pressing. After talking this through with Joe and recognising that by the time I have stripped and checked which parts I would have lost even more time. With urgent work waiting to be done, I could not afford any more down time and therefore ordered a new CS-88.

By this time, it was already very late in the day, but Joe pulled out the stops and to my amazement he managed to dispatched it same day. I had already missed the deadline for next day delivery, so it came today which was the following day. I think that this must qualify as 1st class service!

My thanks to Joe and Simons for their help and support.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Superb crisis support from Simons

Post by StevenG »

Hi Mark

I've met Joe a few times & spoken to him on the phone about stuff. I have to agree with you when you mention the service he provides, he's always more than helpful & patient, when I think back I've asked him the daftest questions and never once did he flinch :lol:
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Joe really is a top bloke, he's helped me out many a time over the years :clap:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not your average framer wrote:Joe pulled out the stops and to my amazement he managed to dispatched it same day. I had already missed the deadline for next day delivery, so it came today which was the following day.
So, in other words you could have ordered it the next morning and still got it next day?
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Roboframer wrote:So, in other words you could have ordered it the next morning and still got it next day?
I almost always get anything sent by Tuffnells on the following day. It got to the local depot on time for next day delivery, but for some unknown reason it did not get onto the van!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Springs do ware usually they slacken with age, making the firing of pins dificult. One way to lengthen the life is to take the cartridge out each day or when not in use.

I must say simons delivery is very good at the moment I got moulding next day without asking for a 24 hr delivery.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I have to agree that Simons do a great job with service very quick , it just Tuffnells are the weak link in the chain, even this week my order from Frinton was delayed because the Tuffnells lorry broke down after collecting from Frintons, I often get stuff left at the local depot

Anyway good to hear you are now sorted Mark :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

I've just finished rebuilding the machine with the new replacement parts and as a result, I was quite surprised how much different the machine now feels when you use it. It's just like a new machine now!

If I had known how much difference this could make I would have reconditioned the machine with new parts long ago and it would have saved me from needing to buy another machine to avoid a crisis.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I keep a spare underpinner and a spare morso, even a day's down time would cost us too much.
Not your average framer

I don't have much space for keeping spare equipment, so it's not a good option for me. Having said that I have a pneumatic Euro 9009 underpinner which I bought for fifty quid, but it needs time and money spending to bring it up to scratch.

Being a bench top model, finding space for this will not be too bad. I've built a base unit for it which also houses an old Bambi compressor. I will find this useful, but I need the time to spend getting it fixed.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

IFGL wrote:I keep a spare underpinner and a spare morso, even a day's down time would cost us too much.
If you have spare kit the primary kit will never go wrong. :wink: :clap: Same principle as never cutting a sheet of glass if it's the last one.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

:giggle:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Or that piece of mount board in that particular colour that you only have just enough for one job :Slap: