PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Attaching Footbal boots anyone ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi,
much to my embarrassment, I have never framed football boots ... there, I said it, so embarrassing. :oops:

Below is a photo of the mount and how I need them displayed ( signatures on show ), I'm creating a shadow box but need to attach boots to a back board, I was thinking perhaps through the lace holes, obviously want to do them to conservation standard, any experience of these you can share would be gratefully received.
Thanks, Adam
footy boots.jpg
footy boots.jpg (89.93 KiB) Viewed 10642 times
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Attaching Footbal boots anyone ?

Post by Not your average framer »

Easy! Get yourself some powerful rare earth disc magnets. Place some inside the boots, against the side that is facing the mountboard and line up others with these, but on the reverse side of the mountboard.

You may be surprised just how big disc magnet sizes can be obtained as off the shelf items. Be prepared to shop around for the best prices. These sort of magnets are not expensive, but some suppliers get away with over charging, because not everyone checks if prices are being inflated.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Have you thought of the possible implications on these rare earth magnets in the event of a emp attack?

Initially, the effect would be physical force (any magnetic field pushes on an electric or magnetic charge it comes in contact with). If the pulses are just the right frequency and just the right pulse modulation, it could possibly demagnetize the magnet, or even make it stronger, but it would have to be a rather large set of pulses to have that kind of effect. More likely the magnet would shake a little, which could very likely cause physical stress on whatever it is attached to, like a motor housing.
Smithy
Organisation: None
Interests: Reading, gardening, music.

Post by Smithy »

How about perspex 'shelves' within the box-frame?

You could drill holes - or just have indents - for the studs to go through and hold the boots in place. Tinted Perspex could look quite funky.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I haven't done any either.
I see he has his daughters' names on the boots.
I would be tempted to look at using the lace holes, although not sure how they would sit.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I've never framed football boots before either but looking at them I know what I'd like to try ....

Make holes in the mounting board to correspond with the lace holes (or some of them, I'm sure every other would be ample) and fasten at each point, with whatever is most invisible, probably melinex straps. Then to prevent them swinging forward - and assuming the studs unscrew - unscrew a couple per boot, tie them through the mounting board with strong thread and screw the studs back on.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

You're showing your age there John.
Most studs don't unscrew nowadays.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

IFGL wrote:Have you thought of the possible implications on these rare earth magnets in the event of a emp attack?
Could this be the next big thing in preservation framing? :giggle:

I can see it all now! "Get your valued items framed to withstand the effects of nuclear war". Who is going to pioneer this new framing technology? Tru Vue?

BTW, in case this has all gone over anyone's head EMP (electro magnetic pulse) is one of the results of detonating an atomic weapon in the upper atmosphere and it is best known for it ability to destroy sensitive electronic components.

Modern military technology has got this beat, but most non military electronics will get fried in the event of a nuclear EMP event.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Nuclear grade duct tape it is then! http://lifehacker.com/5159500/nuclear-grade-duct-tape

pramsay13 wrote:Most studs don't unscrew nowadays.
Ah well, the last pair of football boots I owned were George Best PowerPoints which came with a spare set and a spanner.

But these studs could still be used - also I'm seeing some useful-looking holes at the back.

You could just get a plastic foot/insert - the ones they stick inside shoes to display them and stick that to the mounting board with whatever you like.

Fill yer boots!

China shop
Organisation: Framing shop & Gallery
Interests: Sport, framing

Post by China shop »

We usually use the lace holes and fix with narrow cable ties of an appropriate colour, although they aren't normally visible. Two is enough in each boot. Level the back of the board with foamcore.
Roger
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I would probably go with attaching through the lace holes and use melinex staps as well to keep secure. I have in the past used the studs passed through the mount board and screwed back up but that is only any good if you want them front on and they have screw in studs, which you can still get most brand of boat come in a variety of stud combinations for different surfaces and ground conditions. :giggle: :giggle:
233ART
Organisation: ART233, GALLERY/FRAME SHOP
Interests: COLLECTING & RESTORING OLD TOYS...

Post by 233ART »

I think they are screw-in studs, as they are different on each boot.That`s if the boots are a pair of course...
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Has anyone an update on mounting football boots, I've never done any and would probably try the lace holes - get that ok but still wonder about the other areas of support to hold them tight.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I haven't done any yet! but if the studs were screw in, I would laser cut some brackets out of acrylic and then bend up so the fixing to backing board is hidden by the boot, I should think that just fixing to the studs nearer the backing board should be OK as I imagine that modern boost do not weight much
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/