Still on the subject of cold weather....

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ComeOnYouReds!
Organisation: Our house
Interests: Trying to get it right first time.

Still on the subject of cold weather....

Post by ComeOnYouReds! »

I cannot heat my workspace in winter, it's impossible, so I have to put up with it. Cold every blummin where.
My question to you is, when you have a working area like this how do you cope with cold mouldings, cold and possibly damp mountcard and back board, sheets of glass that as you pick them up are covered with condensation, etc etc.
And then, glue.
All the glues I've used, even superglue, say not to use below 10 degrees. PVA wood glue is next to useless when it's cold. I bring mine inside at night but the mouldings are still shivering in the workshop and if their core temperature is below ten then the glue doesn't work.
Does anyone know of a cold weather glue?
I have a desiccant dehumidifier which does help get a lot of moisture out of the air and the water tank is full every morning but it's probably pulling in the air from the surrounding fields as well !!
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Still on the subject of cold weather....

Post by David McCormack »

Sorry to hear of your woes :( I don't know if I'd cope if I was working with damp mountboard and glue that doesn't work :shock: What sort of temperatures are we talking? Is your workshop a garage or garden shed... I'm just wondering why you can't heat it? Do you have insulation? Apologies for asking questions and not giving you any answers :oops:

Prospero has an outdoor workshop maybe he has the answers.....
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

David McCormack wrote: Prospero has an outdoor workshop maybe he has the answers.....
I saw up mouldings in the outside workshop and then bring the bits inside to join them.

I do have a little heater in the outside place but I hardly ever use it. By the time it's warmed up I have done the chopping.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

Post by red »

its down to insulation basically. many methods available kingspan etc you need
some ventilation though.there is lots of info online about insulation.
I'm a retired builder and last year did my last house renovation
did lots of insulation but the house is still cold.the houses on the same row all suffer
the same. I think its because its on a hill but some places are just cold its a weird one for sure
I hope you manage to get yours warm working in the cold is miserable good luck with it
ComeOnYouReds!
Organisation: Our house
Interests: Trying to get it right first time.

Post by ComeOnYouReds! »

It's a double garage with open beams and rafters so any warmth will disappear upwards. We are talking outdoor temperatures, whatever it is at night tends to stick around through the day. It gets very hot in summer, too hot in fact !
I did read today on some website about this type of thing that once the wood had been cut (it wasn't a framing site, just some woodworking site that obviously had similar problems) they blasted the ends of the wood with a heat gun and glued and joined the bits straight away. I tried it so will see if it works. The ends of the mitres did stay warm for long enough to be above the required gluing temp. I'd also warmed the glue in the house.
As for insulation I've thought about it but only half the garage could be done so there would still be an open half. Becomes a bit pointless.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I can see the logic in warming the ends. But unless the wood is frozen solid I can't really see how it being a bit cold
would impede the glue. But rather than use a heat gun why not get a little fan heater and direct it toward the ends
for a minute or two. You could keep the glue indoors until needed.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

Are you renting the workspace or is it your own property if its your own i would say get it insulated there will be a way and it will be well worth the effort in the long run.
Dave