Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Router table black Friday sale - info for NYAF

Post by fusionframer »

You mentioned getting off shelf router table. This might be worth a punt. I have used rutlands for bits and always been good.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+router-tab ... 504?tyah=y

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Router table black Friday sale - info for NYAF

Post by Not your average framer »

Thank you very much Nick,

I ordered it this morning and it should arrive tomorrow. This should be a great addition to my workshop.

Thanks again,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Why does he get all the toys? :cry:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
fusionframer

Post by fusionframer »

Ok Prospero, fair point, how about this?

https://www.felder-group.com/fg-en/prod ... 16-56.html

Will be a bit pricier than Mark's, but has a bit more functionality. It may be just a little bit overkill for a framing workshop though!
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

prospero wrote:Why does he get all the toys? :cry:
I feel the need to raise my game a little, plus I looking to add things that are a bit more niche oriented. I can't live on the pension alone and think an extra string, or two to my bow may be good if the economy is getting a bit tougher. If everyone is offering much the same as everyone else, then it may mean that competition may make price the deciding factor. Guys like me who are getting older, not in perfect health, etc., prefer to compete in the market on more favourable terms. Producing more niche related items, may just be the smart way to do things.

I've been pursuing the niche thing for quite a while now and it feels like a safe place to be, so why not. Business has not recovered around here since the credit crunch to anything like the way it has in London and the home counties and the niche end of the market has to some extent kept me going. I would not say that it been all plain sailing, but various things have died a death and I don't want to just do nothing and just watch it all happen. At the same time, I will be working only five days a week, instead of my current six. Hopefully all of this will somehow fit together and work nicely for me.

BTW, For a little while my pension is enabling me to buy a few nice bits and pieces, with an eye to the future.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Nick,

That's an impressive bit of kit, but I think I'm a bit past learning what to do with something like that. They do say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Stuff like that is driven by software, I'm more hands on myself and would not have a clue what to do with it.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I've also been shopping recently. I've set aside a bench in the workshop for 'projects' and now have a router table, small plunge router, and a belt/disk sander. I'll sooon be adding a pillar drill and band saw to the collection. Toys my wife calls them. investments I say......but I hope to be able to offer a extra string to my bow sometime in the new year.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

prospero wrote "Why does he get all the toys?" :cry:

I'd like to know "Where he puts all these toys" :?:

I try and keep my workshop neat and tidy and organised (touch of OCD) :oops: I realise I'm very very busy at the mo' but even so, I hardly have an inch of space to spare :roll:

What's the secret?

Peter
Not your average framer

I'm not sure that it's a secret as such, but my wood machinery side of things will be kept separate from the cleaner aspects of framing, but being in a totally separated area. I would image that different frames would do this in ways that suit themselves and according to their situations.

Routing in particular is likely to create a fair bit of dust and not everyone will know how to deal with this. Dust extraction will have some benefits, but there are ways of working that can considerably reduce this problem. which not everyone of us will be aware of.

Routing a surface that runs along the fence of the routing table, usually relies up on local dust extraction and while this will suck up some of the dust, there is no containment of the dust, so any dust not sucked up by dust extraction with not necessarily be contained and may be scattered over some distatance.

However, there are ways of containing the whole process and maintaining containment of any dust not extracted by the extraction system. What we are talking about is a container which contains the whole process and travels along the routing table with the part being routed. There are some limitations and constraints which must be put in place to do this, but if we can do this then the idea is workable.

It's not an uncommon thing with table saws to use a constructed item called a sled. Usually the sled is not designed to contain the saw dust, but if you made a sled to run along the router table using the running slots along the table a movable fence inside this sled could take the place of the normal fence on the routing table. This fence position would be adjusted to locate the piece being routed to the correct distance from the routing bit.

By clamping the piece being routed both the fence and the piece will move with the sled. The routing bit will cut it's own opening in to the board at the base of the sled and as the router moves along machining the piece of wood a perspex lid on the top of this sled will enclose all that's inside the sled including the all important dust.

By adding a dust extraction port and an air inlet in appropriate positions dust extraction will remove as much dust as possible within the enclosed sled, while dust extraction will remove as much dust as possible below the table. There is no reason why the router cannot be contained within another dust containment area.

After the router has been used the sled and any lower containment may be opened and asny remaining dust removed by careful use of a vacuum cleaner. The draw backs are that the wood will need to be cut to size, plus some extra for wastage and clamping. There will also need to be stops to prevent the slot cut to clear the router bit from becoming exposed at the ends of the router table and allowing dust to escape.

Naturally, the will be a limit to the length of wood that can be contained within the sled and therefore any lengths of wood longer that this, cannot be machined within the sled. This may not be easy for everyone to visualise, but that's my basic idea. I've not seen anything like this before, but I'd be surprised if someone has not already done this before.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

GeoSpectrum Wrote

"I've also been shopping recently. I've set aside a bench in the workshop for 'projects' and now have a router table, small plunge router, and a belt/disk sander. I'll sooon be adding a pillar drill and band saw to the collection. Toys my wife calls them. investments I say......but I hope to be able to offer a extra string to my bow sometime in the new year"

You're going to have to change your username to GadgetMan :giggle:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
louisesimon
Organisation: Peckham Pictures (closed)
Interests: Framing, Art, Photography

Post by louisesimon »

NYAF I'm glad you've purchased this as we are guaranteed and in depth review from someone who knows what they are talking about. I'm looking for a router table at the moment, mainly to add spline joints, but the uses are endless. Also making a lot of split battens.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... nds+dk7109

When I got my table saw I purchased this extractor from rutlands which I was dubious because of how much it had been reduced, but it's brilliant.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Good points..... The main thing when getting all this kit is having the room to use it. You need more than you think.
The sort of occasional use 'hobby' gear is good because it's portable and you can put it away when you aren't using it.
But if you got serious machines they need to be in a permanent position, ready to use. You need quite a generous space
to do this. Aircraft hangar? :lol: While a machine might be small an neat you have to think about feed-in and feed-out of
long things.

My shed (aka old mobile home) is great for long things. 25ft long. I've got chop saws one side and a table saw the other.
Anything else would have to be temporary installations.
fusionframer

Post by fusionframer »

I have a small space for my joinery workshop like Prospero, my table saw is at one end of a bench (bench acts as outfeed table) and my chop saw is at the other end. All my other machines are on castors and move around when needed. I have it so movement required is minimal for each machine.

My morticer which is a floor standing one, gets less use than my planer thicknesser, so is harder to get ready.

It is a pain sometimes, but I have made staircases, Windows doors and loads more. Just finished this bookcase for a school which decided to have curved walls in the library!
20171007_183606.jpg
20171007_183606.jpg (3.9 MiB) Viewed 9596 times
20171007_183617.jpg
20171007_183617.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 9596 times
So it is possible to utilise a small space for even big jobs.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

fusionframer

Post by fusionframer »

By the way, this company is great for router bits.

https://www.wealdentool.com

I have loads of their cutters, my table has a 1/2 inch Router, but they do loads of 1/4 inch too.

The bits stay sharp for a long time and can be sharpened.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

prospero

Post by prospero »

I have a long (8ft) bench which serves as the in-feed table for the chops saws. It's handy as I can screw a length of
timber to the edge and go right along with a router fitted with a bit with a guide wheel. I use mainly cove/round/chamfer bits.
I could do more with a router table. :roll:

The main thing with routing freehand is to get the wood fixed down firmly. And cut left-to right. :wink:
Not your average framer

My router table arrived this afternoon. I knew it would be a low spec budget model, but to be honest I was a bit surprised about some of the ways that they went about saving money. The centre section consists of a thin diecast aluminium main casting with some machined features, but the end extensions were made from fairly thin pressed steel. I was uder the impression that the two parralell channels in the end plates both were continued across the centre section, but this is not so. I was planning at a future point in time to get the same item from Machine Mart for £83, so £39 for black friday can't be bad. I'm not particularly impressed by the pressed steel legs and end extensions and will possibly dispose of them when I have the time to build the centre section in to a wooden table top, with two sliding channels either side of the centre section to accurately side two different enclosed sleds.

For most people, the biggest problem with using a router is going to be the amount of wood dust that it produces and my solution is to contain the machining and the dust within a enclosed sled. Normal dust extraction facilities with a routing table won't catch all the dust and the rest of the dust is still going to be problematic. I don't want any dust problem at all, otherwise all the machinery that I am getting will be impractical to use in my stuation. An enclosed router sled is the only solution I have for this. Dust extraction will be provided within the sled and any remaining dust will not be able to escape as the sled is effectively designed to contain the dust, which can be removed (after it has settled out of the air) using a vacuum cleaner.

This is not only possible to do, but it comes at a price, which is that the sled needs to be large enough to contain whatever you will be routing. As a result lengths of wood routed and used as the lengths for frames will have to be limited in length and therefore frames larger than a certain size cannot be produced by using this router sled. This will not have much effect up on me as the things that I want a routing table for will not need to be that large in the first place. My plans when using a router are to not use it as a way of getting busier, but to make things possible which are less possible at present, while also reducing the time and effort to make such things. I will demonstrate the things I have in mind when my woodworking area and equipment are finalised.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

GeoSpectrum wrote:I've also been shopping recently
It sound like we both have the same wish list.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

louisesimon wrote:I'm looking for a router table at the moment, mainly to add spline joints, but the uses are endless. Also making a lot of split battens
I will be limiting the things that I will be doing with my routing table down to a reletively small number of things. You can do a lot with useful machinery, but I think that somewhere along the line you have to define what's worthwhile and practical to do. Unfortunately there are only so many hours in a day and setting up time for all of this will limit what worth doing.

I'm making jigs for producing different things. The idea is that I avoid most of the settling up time. I think that the spline jointed frames that you mentioned should be worth doing as there is quite obviously a good market for these. Shops like John Lewis and Mark's and Spencer's are already doing this sort of thing and promoting this as a quality thing at a upper end of the market price.

It would be possible to make your own jig for ding this and save plenty of time as a result. I would still use existing of the shelf bare wood mouldings for this, as I think the profit is in making the splined joints not the mouldings.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer