Is anyone going to the Spring Fair at the NEC?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
chevron

Is anyone going to the Spring Fair at the NEC?

Post by chevron »

:)

Also ....... Do we have our own section these days?
mounts, mitres, measuring, moulding, mdf, morso, millimetres, mmmmm
maguirei
Organisation: SGF
Interests: Music Music Music

Re: Is anyone going to the Spring Fair at the NEC?

Post by maguirei »

Yes I’m going and no there isn’t a separate section these days.
The few Framing related stands are in the Home section ( e.g Gumnar and Simons). If you’re interested in prints and greetings cards there is a good selection of exhibitors in the home section and also the greetings and gift hall. To be honest, if my Dad didn’t live nearby I probably wouldn’t make the the journey down - though I think you can always get a good idea of current trends and pick up tips by just wandering round the relevant halls.
chevron

Post by chevron »

maguirei wrote:Yes I’m going and no there isn’t a separate section these days.
The few Framing related stands are in the Home section ( e.g Gumnar and Simons). If you’re interested in prints and greetings cards there is a good selection of exhibitors in the home section and also the greetings and gift hall. To be honest, if my Dad didn’t live nearby I probably wouldn’t make the the journey down - though I think you can always get a good idea of current trends and pick up tips by just wandering round the relevant halls.
It’s so sad what has happened to the Art and Framing Section isn’t it.

I first started going in the early 90’s but haven’t been to many in the last few years due to health problems and thought I was retiring from framing but hey ho ..... here we go again :P

Thanks for that .... will have a look through the greetings section as we stock quite a few cards these days.

Remembering the days when the likes of Washington Green, De Montfort, Solomon and Whitehead and Selective Prints amongst many other publishers were there ...... and what with all the framing equipment and moulding suppliers ..... it used to be sooooo inspiring and encouraging.

Grand old times eh .... I wish they would return.

I still like to go even though ‘we’ve shrunk’ .... as you say we can still pick up on trends and tips can’t we.

All the best with your visit there and hope it’s encouraging and worthwhile for you :)
maguirei
Organisation: SGF
Interests: Music Music Music

Post by maguirei »

Yes it is a shame there is no separate section. Probably a combination of lack of support from colleagues in the industry ( I.e. not enough attendees) and a change in technology ( info available on the internet and forums like this for discussion!). I do miss the opportunity to attend Framing related talks and demonstration though.
I should have also mentioned that there are still some good publisher stands in the Home section - including Collier and Dobson who we get a lot of our prints from. Hope you have a useful visit
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Solomon and white head went out of business some years ago, sad to see.
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I went last year after a break of a few years and yes it's not what it was. :( But IMHO it's well worth a visit for trends and tips as others have said. I came away not only inspired but with a sack full of leaflets, info' and card samples that I only finished reading recently.

I enjoyed meeting like minded people especially the artist displays :) and the framing. One stand in particular stood out not just for her art but the quality framing. :clap: made by a forum member (IFGL) who shall remain nameless :wink:

Even with far fewer framing suppliers there is still much to see. I found it less exhausting to travel in the morning, look round in the afternoon, stay over and look round again the next morning. Over all a really enjoyable few hours and worthwhile for if you intend to grew your business, update your kit and move with the times.

FWIW If you are on a budget I would suggest you take your refreshment as the food on offer is expensive and not particularly good :roll:

Peter
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

poliopete wrote:I would suggest you take your refreshment as the food on offer is expensive and not particularly good :roll:Peter
You're not kidding, the food's not good at all and I can't understand how they have got the nerve to charge as much as they do for such inferior fare. I don't go to the Spring fair these days, but when I did we always aimed to get in when doors opened and be out in time for lunch. We left the site via the exit to the M42, but when straight across the M42 roundabout onto what I believe is the A45.

Not many miles along this road there is a flyover with a roundabout under the flyover. Directly on that roundabout there is a Toby Carvery, you gain access to the carvery by taking the first exit on the roundabout after coming down the slip road from just before the flyover. We always used to get a decent meal there at a reasonable price. I think the roundabout is near somewhere called stonebridge. Maybe this will be helpful.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
chevron

Post by chevron »

maguirei wrote:Yes it is a shame there is no separate section. Probably a combination of lack of support from colleagues in the industry ( I.e. not enough attendees) and a change in technology ( info available on the internet and forums like this for discussion!). I do miss the opportunity to attend Framing related talks and demonstration though.
I should have also mentioned that there are still some good publisher stands in the Home section - including Collier and Dobson who we get a lot of our prints from. Hope you have a useful visit
For many years we went to both the Spring and Autumn fairs ...... I always really looked forward to them ... I still do as they are incredible trade events aren’t they.

The demonstrations you got to see in the framing section and information you could find was like finding nuggets of gold ..... as you said ... back then we didn’t have the Internet and the amount of info that we do now did we. The Lion’s stand was always a hive of activity and learning for me.

I’m hoping to see Collier and Dobson .... thanks! :) I particularly like one of their artists called Sam Toft.

Our main supplier these days is Buckingham ( they’re not there :| )

I hope you have a great time and find lots of goodies! :)
chevron

Post by chevron »

IFGL wrote:Solomon and white head went out of business some years ago, sad to see.
Yeh they did didn’t they ..... we often placed orders with them.

We liked Selective Prints also ..... I have very fond memories of Ivan.

I used to look forward to getting various publisher’s new catalogues through the post ..... Ahhh! The days of a paper catalogue :giggle:
chevron

Post by chevron »

poliopete wrote:I went last year after a break of a few years and yes it's not what it was. :( But IMHO it's well worth a visit for trends and tips as others have said. I came away not only inspired but with a sack full of leaflets, info' and card samples that I only finished reading recently.

I enjoyed meeting like minded people especially the artist displays :) and the framing. One stand in particular stood out not just for her art but the quality framing. :clap: made by a forum member (IFGL) who shall remain nameless :wink:

Even with far fewer framing suppliers there is still much to see. I found it less exhausting to travel in the morning, look round in the afternoon, stay over and look round again the next morning. Over all a really enjoyable few hours and worthwhile for if you intend to grew your business, update your kit and move with the times.

FWIW If you are on a budget I would suggest you take your refreshment as the food on offer is expensive and not particularly good :roll:

Peter
I so agree with everything you have said there Peter .... even regarding the food :giggle:

We’ve never stayed over but have often said i’d like to ..... I should imagine it’s a much more relaxing way.

The leaflets and catalogues that you can come away with eh :Slap:

I started taking one of those little cases on wheels after a couple of years of going there as my neck and shoulders couldn’t take the strain anymore. You start off with a few leaflets don’t you .... but then!! oh my!! :giggle:

It can take a while to read it all afterwards can’t it :)
chevron

Post by chevron »

Not your average framer wrote:
You're not kidding, the food's not good at all and I can't understand how they have got the nerve to charge as much as they do for such inferior fare. I don't go to the Spring fair these days, but when I did we always aimed to get in when doors opened and be out in time for lunch. We left the site via the exit to the M42, but when straight across the M42 roundabout onto what I believe is the A45.

Not many miles along this road there is a flyover with a roundabout under the flyover. Directly on that roundabout there is a Toby Carvery, you gain access to the carvery by taking the first exit on the roundabout after coming down the slip road from just before the flyover. We always used to get a decent meal there at a reasonable price. I think the roundabout is near somewhere called stonebridge. Maybe this will be helpful.
I’ll tell my partner about the Toby Carvery .... that will interest him immensely .... thankyou! :)
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

Hi All

Think I will be going tomorrow Tuesday the 06th.
DCS
Organisation: Durham City Studios
Interests: Photography and Framing

Post by DCS »

We were there yesterday, agree with the comments already made. The only framing supplier still going is DJ Simons, and to be honest because their stand is so small compared to what it used to be, it looked crowded, uninspiring and to be honest, plain boring. I think it looks worse because surrounding by the "blingy", bright and shiny stands!!
As already said, it's nice to look round and see trends etc. We were only there about 2 hours, so whether we'll bother another year is uncertain.
For my sins I own and operate
http://www.durhamcitystudios.com
Bobble
Organisation: Frameworks
Interests: Picture framing.

Post by Bobble »

My memory of a very busy, noisy NEC was queueing for 2 coffees. I hurriedly selected a couple of wrapped doughnut style balls smothered in icing sugar and was asked "Do you want to try?"
"Pardon, I don't understand" I stammered.
She repeated the 'try' question and I thought she must have small samples behind the counter to test. I replied "No thanks, I'll risk it, whatever they are".
A kind (but impatient) translator behind me said she's offering a tray! :oops:
Humble apologies all round to the good folk of Dood-lie....
p.s. And those car parks without an umbrella. Yuk.
chevron

Post by chevron »

DEEPJOY wrote:Hi All

Think I will be going tomorrow Tuesday the 06th.

All the best for your visit Deepjoy I hope it’s worthwhile and enjoyable for you.

Wednesday for us .... My partner has already been yesterday :)
Katie Dougan
Organisation: Null
Interests: sewing, crochet and keeping my picture framer husband and kids out of trouble

Post by Katie Dougan »

My husband went down on Saturday afternoon and came back yesterday evening . They were looking for a new cmc to replace their valiani. He’s having a word with the accountants today regarding import VAT on the flat rate scheme but should be ordering a Gunnar AIOX professional XL with vacuum bed in the next day or so
chevron

Post by chevron »

DCS wrote:We were there yesterday, agree with the comments already made. The only framing supplier still going is DJ Simons, and to be honest because their stand is so small compared to what it used to be, it looked crowded, uninspiring and to be honest, plain boring. I think it looks worse because surrounding by the "blingy", bright and shiny stands!!
As already said, it's nice to look round and see trends etc. We were only there about 2 hours, so whether we'll bother another year is uncertain.

Ahhh! Good old Simons! It’s good to know they are still hanging in.

Can’t wait to get there now to see where they have been situated :Slap:

I can remember going to the Autumn Fair on my own one year and within less than a couple of hours I was looking everywhere for the rest of the Art and Framing before I realised that that was it ..... we still had our own section in those days too :|

We sell a lot more cards and giftware these days and we tried a little bit of costume jewellery too at the beginning of December for the first time and have been doing okay with that so looking forward to seeing the jewellery section ..... I’ve never been in there before :)

I’m hoping that after 25 years of retail that I’ve finally discovered what women want :giggle:
chevron

Post by chevron »

Bobble wrote:My memory of a very busy, noisy NEC was queueing for 2 coffees. I hurriedly selected a couple of wrapped doughnut style balls smothered in icing sugar and was asked "Do you want to try?"
"Pardon, I don't understand" I stammered.
She repeated the 'try' question and I thought she must have small samples behind the counter to test. I replied "No thanks, I'll risk it, whatever they are".
A kind (but impatient) translator behind me said she's offering a tray! :oops:
Humble apologies all round to the good folk of Dood-lie....
p.s. And those car parks without an umbrella. Yuk.

:lol:
chevron

Post by chevron »

Katie Dougan wrote:My husband went down on Saturday afternoon and came back yesterday evening . They were looking for a new cmc to replace their valiani. He’s having a word with the accountants today regarding import VAT on the flat rate scheme but should be ordering a Gunnar AIOX professional XL with vacuum bed in the next day or so
That sounds like someone has been on a mission :)

I hope they had a great time down there.

Compared to us you have a very sophisticated set up.

We’re only just coming out of the Stone Age .... everything in our workshop is still powered by foot :giggle:
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

poliopete wrote:I went last year after a break of a few years and yes it's not what it was. :( But IMHO it's well worth a visit for trends and tips as others have said. I came away not only inspired but with a sack full of leaflets, info' and card samples that I only finished reading recently.

Peter
Thank you for your kind words Pete, this is the first year Jill has missed the spring fair in favour of a Scotish show instead, we do have a other customers showing there though.

Nameless.