A silly question ? Do oil paintings fade ?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

A silly question ? Do oil paintings fade ?

Post by Bagpuss »

I have a customer who wanted a non-reflective glass over his oil on canvas on board, I thought this would be fine as it was a lovely oil painting of a gorilla that he had commissioned. I then mentioned a museum glass that would give him UV protection as well a reflection control, I was just about to send him a quote with museum glass then I started to wonder, are oil paintings actually susceptible to fading like a print might be ? I wouldn't have thought they do , do they ?

Answers on a postcard please :clap:
Thanks, Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: A silly question ? Do oil paintings fade ?

Post by Not your average framer »

I would say that some degree of fading is certainly possible, but not all colours are susceptable to fading to the same degree, so the degree to which fading will affect any particalar painting will depend upon the quality and lightfastness of the paints employed in that particular painting.

Since I also clean customers paintings, I get to see the edges of older oil paintings that have be shielded from light by the sight edge of the frame and yes, there are noticeable differences between the faded and unfaded parts of the picture. Does it always matter? Well, very few people seem to notice this, so maybe, maybe not.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

That's a damn good question for which I don't know the answer on a scientific level. I will say that I have never known
an oil painting to fade in the same way as a watercolour. They get dirty though atmospheric muck and discoloured varnish
but faded pigment? :roll: Even ones that look like a piece of felt off the shed roof can be brought back to pristine condition
under the hands of an expert restorer.

Whether to put them under glass is a matter of taste. My default stance is not to glaze, but it depends on the painting.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
odocat
Organisation: Tobi Frames
Interests: Picture framing

Post by odocat »

If it has been varnished this gives the painting a degree of UV protection. The rest of the problems are down to extream temperture changes.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

FWIW I've got an oil painting which was painted 45 years ago and is unglazed. The colours still look unfaded to me, although I don't know whether the colours under the frame would be different.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The fact is that if an oil painting has been executed using quality materials and correct techniques then it is
going to be very durable. Paints using lightfast pigments - usually 'earth' pigments are very stable in terms of permanence.

Oils done with 'student' quality paints are a different proposition, although the paint will probably drop off long before they
get a chance to fade. :lol:

Synthetic pigments give the artist a greater range but some can be extremely 'fugitive'. This type of pigment is mostly aimed
at illustrators who want vivid colours but the original artwork is essentially of no importance once it has been reproduced. In fact
a lot of it is simply binned.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Experts have recently discovered that one of the colours of paint in a Van Goch painting has been fading for over 100 years, the fading is not visible to the naked eye yet...
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... s-to-brown
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

With older paints and pigments, it seems there are changes occurring over time:

https://indianapublicmedia.org/amomento ... paintings/

and are quite a few papers online from museums and conservators looking at the fading of some pigments in oil paint.
prospero

Post by prospero »

There was a fad in the early 19c for paints using bitumen-based pigments. It gave a lovely warm brown.
Only problem was it degraded to the point that the paintings gradually turned into something resembling
a piece of felt on a shed roof on a hot day. Joshua Reynolds was notorious for using it. :roll: