Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
artyst
Organisation: Edgraphy
Interests: Painting/photography

Re: How to adhere foam board spacers to aluminium moulding

Post by artyst »

Steve N wrote:In England, we tend to call it mountcard, while you call it a mat, the same really

Once you have made the box, folded up the sides, use wet gum tape to join the corners, once dry , the corners will be solid, if you make the box about 1mm smaller than the glass, once you have mounted the artwork and are ready to assemble, put the (cleaned ) glass on top of your box, run some tape (P90 should be okay) along the side of the glass (about 3-4mm in from the edge of the glass, and fold down onto the outside of the box, you will then have one solid package, once you have put the frame together, have a look on the front, if any tape is showing, run a brand new sharp blade along the sight edge of the frame to trim any excess tape
I think I like this whole box angle. What thickness should the mountcard have for this to work?
And why exactly do you leave 1mm of glass popping out on the sides, why not make it same exact size?
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Steve and others answered your question to angled sides.
The board is the basic 1.2 mm mountboard. You can add strips of foam board to the sides to add a support ledge for the glass.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
artyst
Organisation: Edgraphy
Interests: Painting/photography

Post by artyst »

Well thanks to all those who took the time to answer anyway.
I think I will first try to do a simple frame from mountboard and place it in, if that doesn't work then I will try the box approach.