PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Tape....

Post by cleaver »

Hi All,

What does everyone use to seal up the back of the frame? Is self-adhesive a complete no-no?

I've used Tessa tape in the past, and liked it. But I want to do things the right way, and as 'conservation' as I reasonably can.

So do you use gummed, self-adhesive....if so, what brands do you prefer?

Ta!

Paul :)
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Tape....

Post by Justintime »

I use self adhesive for everything. I tried Tessa, but then tried Sekisui and haven't looked back. They all need to be burnished.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We use gummed paper tape, have done for many years after swapping from self adhesive and we get ours from Lion.

We only use self adhesive tape these days if we are using an aqua coated backing board (gummed won't stick properly), if we are re-taping an old frame for a customer and it already has self adhesive tape welded to it (gives a better look to replace like with like) or if we are taping up a customer's own resin/plastic frame (gummed won't stick properly). In those cases self adhesive is more suitable.

If you are choosing to frame to any of the Guild's 5 specified levels of framing then gummed tape is specified at Museum and Conservation level, advised at Commended level but a good quality self adhesive framing tape is acceptable. At budget level self adhesive is fine, but you can also use gummed. At minimum level no framing tape is specified so it allows to use any of them, or none.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I stock the full range of tape widths in the Selisui self adhesive and I also stock extra thick gummed paper tape. Unfortunately, the gummed paper tape does not always stick well to all backing boards, or mouldings. I really like and much prefer the extra thick gummed paper tape.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I do the same as Tuder Rose and for the same reasons. Mainly use Lions licky sticky tape and am very happy with it :D

Recently though, to top up an order for "carriage paid" with another supplier, who will remain nameless, I added on a couple of rolls of 3" wide tape. Turned out to be a big mistake as this tape is a much thinner and inferior quality :(

If we ask Mark aka NYAF nicely, he will explain the differences in quality and what we should look out for :D

Peter.
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Thanks all - really appreciate your time and trouble :clap:
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Out of interest Jo et al, what back boards do you use with your gummed tapes?
I have been using coated Corricor for everything, so not currently using gummed tape at all.
I've just dipped into the study guide and read that self adhesive tapes are never used in conservation level...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Nearly ever frame I take apart that has had gummy tape applied to the back, has rusty staples / pins /nails, so I wouldn't class that as conservation let alone musuem standard
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Justintime wrote:Out of interest Jo et al, what back boards do you use with your gummed tapes?
We tend to use solid Kraftboard for most of our jobs Justin. If it is going to be Conservation or Museum level we add an extra barrier layer of Mylar or similar to the inside of the kraftboard. We do use the Aqua boards on occasion, but very rarely. We also use MDF (also with the extra layer) on larger pieces where 3mm is more appropriate, and the 2mm version for a few artist customers who prefer it.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Extra thick gummed paper tape is not any real big deal. It's just what it says it is, it has a thicken layer of paper and a thicker coating of glue. Lots of packaging suppliers can supply it, they don't necessarily carry it as a normal stock item. My supplier orders it in when I want it. The gummed paper tape that I buy usually is 110 gsm thickness.

I find it easier to use, it's much stickier, it's much stronger when wet and you can't so easily see through it to what underneath. 60gsm tape is not all that opaque and you can much more easily see the tabs which hold the backing board in place through the tape. Some of it's about presentation, but it does go down dead flat with much less effort.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Mark, thanks for that :D

For a matter of interest, can you suggest a supplier for this better quality tape and perhaps will supply in smaller quantities?

Peter.
Not your average framer

My supplier is a small local supplier called Torbay Packaging. Every area has is own local companies, you will probably find it best to form your own relationship with your own local supplier. My own supplier can only supply 110 gsm gummed paper tape in the metric equivalent of three inch, or four inch wide rolls.

I get them supplied with the gummed side wound outwards, this seems to be the most common type for packaging, it just drops straight into my tape machine without feeding the tape through all the rollers. They are really large capacity rolls of tape. To make up my suppliers minimum order for free local delivery on their van, I think I have to order something like five, or six rolls. One order of rolls of tape lasts me for perhaps a couple of years.

A lot of my normal non hard finished frames are done in Sekisui self adhesive tape and the gummed paper tape is mostly used for the hand fisished frames and retapping older anitique frames. This thicker gummed paper tape has nicer look and presentation compared to the thinner gummed paper tape I have previously bought from framing suppliers and appears to be a generally different quality of paper, which if you think about it makes sense, because it is made for heavy duty packing use and needs to be very much stronger.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer