Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
artyst
Organisation: Edgraphy
Interests: Painting/photography

Reversing hinging tape

Post by artyst »

I am assuming the reason hinging is considered conservation is because it's ph neutral but also mostly because it is reversible and doesn't alter the initial artwork like dry mounting etc, correct?
So how exactly do you remove it? I am using the water activated kind (lineco). Supposedly you could remove it with a bit of water (which reactivates the glue) , but how is one to get to the glued side? I thought ok they must have designed it in a way with the paper used being of the absorbing type so you would brush a bit of water over it and it will sink in to the other side, but that didn't really work.
I imagine you would have the same problem with hinges glued using starch. So how exactly do you reverse them?
Or are you not supposed to remove it from the art ever, and only remove the side glued to the mounting board etc..?
Thanks.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Reversing hinging tape

Post by Justintime »

I gently brush a little water on to the back of the hinging tape, being careful not to get water on the work. Leave it 5 or 10 minutes or until you can lift a corner with a scalpel blade, carefully wet the underneath while slowly lifting with the blade. It worked for me.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
artyst
Organisation: Edgraphy
Interests: Painting/photography

Post by artyst »

Ok thanks, I fugured that's what I should do but after a couple of minutes the tape wasn't really absorbing the water n I felt it wasn't going to work. I guess I need to wait at least 10 minutes then :)
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Yeah, the water doesn't seem to want to absorb into the back of the paper, but it does eventually.. good luck!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I've heard of putting little scores in the tape/hinge using a sharp blade also helps with absorbing the water
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

That makes sense, after all, that's what you do to remove wallpaper :D

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Wallpaper is not a customers artwork! Much safer to take your time and do it slowly and safely. BTW, a nice springy synthetic bristle artists brush easily gets under the edge of the tape when the water has soaked into the tape and it's ready to be removed. Normally you can any damage with a nice springy brush, but with a scalpel..........
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Mark. where's your sense of humor :giggle:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

:)
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer