PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Attaching silver teaspoons... but detachable for cleaning

Post by Bagpuss »

Can anyone help me on a Monday morning ? This was my first customer :Slap:

A lady from the golf club wants to display 2 silver teaspoons in a frame but wants to be able to take the spoons out and clean then in the future, that's when my heart sank.
As you can see in the photo below, the spoons could hang vertically but I couldn't use mylar strips or thread as that would be permanent, can you think of anything that might allow them to be lifted out ?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
golf_spoons.jpg
golf_spoons.jpg (24.16 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Attaching silver teaspoons... but detachable for cleaning

Post by Steve N »

Hi Adam
You could try some of these Mighty Mounts from Lion , not invisible, but you can't have everything :sweating: :nod:
https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/9207/Mighty ... Pack-of-12
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

That is easy. Just bring back the frame for me to detach the spoons, you can take the spoons home for cleaning. Bring back the spoons after cleaning and I can reassemble the frame back together.

The charge will be xxxx.

The alternative, a magic wand.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
prospero

Post by prospero »

Cutlery often comes in presentation cases where all the items fit on a moulded base - mostly flocked.

The thought occurs that it you get a set cheap enough to cannibalise it to cut out the space for two spoons
you may be able to adapt it to the job. And use the implements for eating purposes. :lol:

Sorry for lame answer but invisible pixies to hold them are hard to find. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Adam,

You don't need to make them detatcaible for cleaning. Picreator produce a wax which forms an invisible gas impermible barrier which will seal the surface of the silver spoons to exclude the contact with oxygen that enables to silver to tarnish. Not oxygen meansno tarnishing - Easy when you know how! This wax is called Renaissance wax.

https://picreator.co.uk/renaissance-wax/

Now you can impress your customer, with your knowledge of museum grade protection and the protection of silver from tarnishing.

Always pleased to help when I can,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Even better! :D :yes:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I used to used mono-filament nylon for fixing things like this. I got the mono-filament nylon from "Empress Mills" a company, based somewhere in the north of England, but now I use a variety of Nylon and Polyester tags as used for Garment price tag guns, which I got from "Morplan". Some of these tags are something like 5, or 6 inches long as pretty much invisible to the eye, which viewed behind glass.

I find that these longer tags are much easier to handle than the mono-filament nylon and usually don't resort to the mono-filament nylon, so much so, that I don't even know where my mono-filament nylon currently is a the moment. I quite often use these tags also to hold medals in place, especially when there are grooves around the stems of the ribbon hanger, where the tag will seat into the groove and be almost completely hidden from view.

I have framed knives and forks before also using these tags. I bought a set of six pair of antique looking knives, for a local charity shop for £1 for the whole six and one knife and fork got framed as something interesting for in the shop window.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Mark, did you have to give "all" the secrets. :wink:
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer

No, it was just something that I thought would be an illustration of things that I was able to do and might be a way on attracting business for my shop. I did not really want to sell it, but the lady who bought it, would not take no for an answer. The frame, glass, mount board and backing board were all made from left over scraps. I was just something I did as a bit of self indulgence. From time to time, I do things that just appeal to me and this was just one of those things.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Thank you, thank you .. plenty to contemplate here, I'm seeing the customer again this week I think, I'll get back to you with a photo of the finished product :clap:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )