Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Framing new stamps

Post by Rainbow »

Love the new stamps issued by Royal Mail, and they're planning to sell a framed version from 2nd September:

https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stam ... six-stamps

How do you think they've been fixed? I've seen previous threads mention mylar strips or Showgard, which I think cover the whole stamp. With the mylar strips you'd see the edge of the strip. There must be a better way so that you don't see any fixings but without damaging the stamps. Any ideas? I'm thinking I might try it as a sample to see if there's any interest in a framed set of stamps. If not, I'll be happy to keep them :D
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Framing new stamps

Post by poliopete »

Stamp hinges? :giggle:
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

John Ranes II, CPF, GCF wrote: Sat 04 Feb, 2012 2:33 pm No, No, No... Stamp hinges went out in the 1960's.
John (Philatelist and Framer)
:giggle:

John also said the following, but I was hoping to be able to frame them without any covering. In the 7 years since John posted, I thought methods might have changed.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF wrote: Sat 04 Feb, 2012 2:33 pm Today, collectors use specialized stamp mounts made of mylar, typically black on the back and clear on the face. Cut to size, these fit each stamp perfectly and protect as well as present.

Showgard is perhaps the most well known brand out there
prospero

Post by prospero »

That's a point. New(er) UK stamps are self-adhesive. What do stamp collectors do to put them in albums? :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

John Ranes II as a serious Philatelist is quite correct about stamp hinges ceased being used at about the same time I stopped collecting stamps, matchboxes, beermats and those coloured tissues that Oranges were wrapped in.

I have had a certain amount of success mounting fragile images using transparent photo corners from PEL Industries but they can be fiddly to position.
However, if you would like to try a few Rainbow I will be only too pleased to pop some in the post.

The post card size images of stamp issues frame and mount nicely. I always have a few sets of on my walls. The subject matter is varied and the post cards very attractive. By mounting in different ways and in different configurations often makes customer choice easier. I buy these sets online for around £1.50 or so.

I find these framed sets are never displayed for long as the sell regularly. Natural history cards always sell well but my best selling set is the five cards depicting breeds of cattle, double mounted and framed horizontally.

Best of luck framing the stamps.

Peter.