Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

How is this done?

Post by poliopete »

A programme on the TV recently showed the star "rescue" two naff pictures from the recycling centre skip with the intention to upcycle and add value.

The pictures were photographed and sent somewhere and then returned as prints on canvas. I noticed the cost of 12 prints was £60.

I am intrigued by this process and as I know nothing about it I would appreciate any information from other members.

How is this done? and who does it.

I can see by reading picture framing mags' that the number of framers offering a printing service is increasing. So any information on this service would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter.
prospero

Re: How is this done?

Post by prospero »

This process is a very good option where someone has a old family photo which is irreplaceable. Such items are often
damaged - cracks, fading, missing corners, etc. Attempting to 'touch up' old photos can often result in them being damaged
even further and essentially lost forever. But if you photograph them with a hi-res camera you have a digital file which can be
electronically re-touched and enhanced. And you can make as many backup copies as you like, so if you make a mess then just
start again. The cardinal rule in photo editing is: Never edit the source file. Once it's done it's a simple matter to print it
in whatever form you like. The original photo can then be stored away and you can have a restored copy on the wall.
With photos the value (mostly sentimental) is in the image and not the actual physical object.

Artwork is different as the painting/drawing in it's physical form has intrinsic value. Reprinting only gives you a reproduction.

** There is the small matter of copyrights involved, but I won't go into that. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Peter, thanks for that :D

It was the process of reproducing the pictures on canvas that interested me and the low cost.

I have had a quick look online and know a little more now but I would appreciate more information perhaps from a forum member who offers this service or from someone who has used a company who does this.

**I am aware that copyright is a minefield. :(

Peter.
prospero

Post by prospero »

There's a place near Sleaford that one of my customers uses. Can't for the life of me remember the name. I'll ask him. :D

The prints are top-rank. :yes:

You have to beware people who buy a printer and think that makes them a "printer". :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About