Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Do you tape up your package?

Post by cleaver »

Sorry for this perennial old chestnut of a thread (and the Viz-stylee topic title).

Just wondering what the current consensus is in taping up glass/mount/artwork/backing board as a package is?

Taping the back up helps keep out the pesky flies etc. but can/do they get in from the front if the sandwich isn't taped up?

If you do, what tape do you use,please?

Ta. :D
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: Do you tape up your package?

Post by Rainbow »

There are few moments more satisfying than the moment you finish taping up a package. But perhaps I should get out more :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

I always sandwich the glass/mount/backing.

It serves two purposes: Firstly it leaves you with a unified single unit that you know bits are not going to get into. I make the frame
after the sandwich is complete. I can have any number of sandwiches waiting for frames. Better than a load of loose elements.
Whats more, you can assemble everything face-up so you can see any bits and remove them. Once sandwiched you can rest assured
that it's frame-ready. When I started I did what a lot of framers did, that is to put the frame face-down - put the glass in and clean
it and then load the mounted work followed by the back. This seemed to intuitive way to work. A rep from Scharf Mouldings gave me
the idea when we were discussing how to seal aluminium frames. :wink:

Secondly it stops the little flies creeping in. FYI they always go in from the front. The tape applied on the back is largely cosmetic.
Wriggling under the rebate lip they have two choices - go under and get stuck or go over and end up somewhere in the back where they
can do no harm. Why they do it is one of natures' mysteries, but they can be very destructive.

I use masking tape, which I know is not archival but it really doesn't have to be as it comes nowhere near the artwork. It will stay sticky
and last for years. In terms of holding the sandwich together it only has to last until you get it installed in the frame.

As they say in the good old US of A, "It's a no-brainer". :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I only do it on dark mounts, - well sometimes, I personally do not like it, the main reason is, if the customer somehow manage to break the glass, they tend to try and pull the broken glass out of the front of the frame, and it won't come out because it's taped in, so they show up at the shop with a frame that looks like it's exploded, shards of glass pointing out the front of the frame, you can't lie it down to take the back off :head: :head:
Sealing the pack, dosen't always keep the flies out
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Very interesting, Peter & Steve. Different approaches, but I totally get your reasoning (both of you).

Peter, I guess another plus for using masking tape is it can be peeled off more easily than something like Tessa tape, if needs-be :head:

I do like the idea of assembling face-up, for exactly the reason you gave.

I must get some decent quality masking tape for this purpose.

Steve, when I get a customer back with an exploded frame, I'll imagine you laughing (or smiling knowingly), as I attempt to unpick it all!

Reminds me of a re-glaze I did the other week: what a PITA picking off all the tape at the back, plus bits you miss creeping under the glass.

Thanks again, amigos.

:D
prospero

Post by prospero »

Yes.... After it's been on a while the tape can be hard to remove and leaves a residue. On the rare occasions that
I've had to dismantle/reassemble a sandwich it's usually a case of slicing the edge of the tape and slapping another
layer on top. As long as you don't do this too many times I figure this is OK. :lol:

If you do need to remove the tape from the glass and clean it, lighter fluid and fine wirewool works a treat.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

A lot depends upon your location. If you are based anywhere near fields, where corn, or wheat are grown, there is a possibility that you may need to tape up the package to exclude these little flies. Depending upon which part of the country you are in, these may be known as "Thunder bugs" or "Thirips". Where I am located, there is not a problem with these little flies.

However, I do get customers who want to have the frames sealed against steam and dampness in bathrooms, or houses with known damp wall. In such cases I use the Linco aluminium barrier tape, which is not only fully water and damp proof, but has a permanent self adhesive layer. I also use Correx as a waterproof backing board to ensure that the package is fully waterproof, followed by a normal waterproof backing board, so that the the framing point cannot cut into the Linco barrier tape.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

In days gone by framers used to seal the package with brown gummed paper tape and I've had plenty of frames in for re-framing, where the gummed paper tape is very old and still in perfect condition apart from looking a bit old. Old frames where sellotape has been used, the adhesive has always failed. It's fairly obvious that the quality of the adhesive is worth considering, but having said that even masking tape can be quite good if it is adecent quality type. I would suggest for those who want to, there is plenty of scope to shop around for the best combination of price and lasting adhesive.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

I'm with Prospero on this. I use Tessa masking tape, which I find, is reasonably easy to remove should you have to at a later date.

Not only does the package mean you can assemble a number of pieces and then put them safely aside to be dropped in their frames at a later date but it also removed the annoying problem of that little flake from the moulding suddenly appearing on the window mount just after you've fired the last point in the back!

Graham
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Thanks Graham (and everyone else).

I like Tessa tape. Been using Seksui for frame backs, but find it a bit stiff and unyielding compared to Tessa tape.

:D
Not your average framer

Tessa tape is one of the best tapes that you can get. The adhesive has a really good long life and it's quite durable too. It's not one of the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

I use P90 tape on mine, recommended on here by someone many years ago and have used it ever since. Its easy enough to remove if you find you need to go back in if you have missed any dust.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

P90 for us here too for most things. Occassionally gummed conservation tape, or aluminium tape as appropriate.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022