10mm wide bare wood moulding

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ewawoowoo
Organisation: ed watts framing
Interests: Printmaking, food, wine and running.

10mm wide bare wood moulding

Post by ewawoowoo »

Hi all, I'm sure this has come up as a topic before so sorry if it has (I can't find it though...)

I have a customer who knows exactly what she wants for various frames. Some she has given me details of where they're from and catalogue numbers etc. But one moulding she hasn't. It is bare wood (possibly Obeche) and is 10/11mm wide and approx 32mm deep. I can't find one anywhere...

Does anyone know where I can source such a moulding before I lose my mind! :roll:

Thanks in advance

Ed
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: 10mm wide bare wood moulding

Post by Steve N »

Hi Ed
Welcome to the forum, the closest I can find is this one, pine from D&J Simons
https://www.djsimons.co.uk/index.php?ro ... =000j%2F13
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
ewawoowoo

Post by ewawoowoo »

Thanks Steve,

I saw that one and PW193 (14mm wide, slightly deeper) at Wessex (3.5 x the cost of the pine one!).

My customer really wants the moulding to be as narrow as possible, and she has had some made up previously. But where the moulding comes from I haven't got a clue, maybe they were handmade?

Anyhoo, thanks for looking. I see you have a pointy faced pooch too! I have a small version, a Whippet.

Cheers
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Hi Ed
Went to a charity( where we got our greyhound from) dog show yesterday, put her in a couple of classes, didn't get anywhere, but she was worn out for the rest of the day, as she han't had her morning/lunchtime nap :giggle: :giggle:

10mm is very small, I wouldn't use it on anything too big as you would need a sub-frame to strengthen it up, Norfolk Moulding will make moulding to your own spec , but you would need to order a fair bit to make it worth while, also I believe that Rolls & Holis offer the same service, but again you might have to order a lot.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The Simons moulding that has been mentioned (Simons J/13) and another (Simons K/114) are not only mouldings that I like to keep in stock, the are both also mouldings that I have occasionally used as sub frames, when customers don't want to pay the price for a normal sub frame. I'm not saying that the are ideal as sub frames, but when push comes to shove, it's is workable.

I also use both of these pine mouldings at times for hand finished frames and also to stack with other mouldings as stacked moulding frame combinations, they are of course pine mouldings and I don't like using the knots, so usually I try to use wood without knots and end up with various smaller lengths as left overs. I don't mind using knots that are not to serious for sub frames, but not usually for normal frames.

This means that I get to make ready made box frames with the left overs. They are a bit erratic in terms of how often they sell, but there are customers who will buy a few when they see then. You have to price then to please, but certain customers are keen to buy box frames and if you don't mind waiting for those busy times of the year, they will usually not only sell, but customers will ask you to make more.

They are both nice and cheap mouldings, which I also cut up on the table saw, or band saw, to make up spacers and flat sections to stack between a couple of other moulding to make up larger profiles, but at a profitable price. The secret with making profitable stacked mouldings, very often has a lot to do with controlling your material costs and you often need to fill in between the more interests looking mouldings with something a little cheaper, but it still needs to look right as an overall completed stacked profile.

When you are building up different mouldings as a stacked moulding combination, overall proportions are everything. It not about persuading customers to like something, but showing them something that really inspires them from the moment they see it. I get a lot of my inspiration from visiting galleries showing antique looking hand finished frames, auction sales and even car boot sales. I often buy an old frame from a sale and use it to cut up and make a hand finished chevron, or to to drop into one of my inspiration boxes.

I bring out the inspiration boxes, when all else fails and customers have a good rummage and very often it leads to a stacked moulding idea. There are even times when other customers come in the shop and there may be more than one customer having a good rummage and even getting in on the conversation. Surprisingly enough this almost always results in multiple sales orders.

One useful thing I picked up from watching demos ant the Spring Fair over the years, was Pete Bingham quickly drying various paint layers with a hot air gun. There are times when I will produce small hand finished samples while customers are in the shop, so they can choose exactly what they require and as I have plenty of pneumatic nail, staple and brad guns of various sizes, I can join a stacked moulding sample as part of doing this, which goes down very well with many customers.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
ewawoowoo

Post by ewawoowoo »

Thanks for this Mark, very useful stuff.

Ed
ewawoowoo

Post by ewawoowoo »

I looked at R & H online the other day and couldn't find anything. When I look today there it is! The exact one I need :clap:

http://www.roseandhollis.co.uk/products/a354/

Comes in three wood types too!

Thanks to all for your advice!

Ed
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Don't be afraid to be different and offer your customers something different that you competitors don't do and don't be afraid to show of your skills in front of your customers. In this day where skills are not so easy to find, many people take a lot of notice when you are willing to demostrate your skills for them to see. My shop is very small, a bit cluttered and looks like a shop from another era and people like to pick up and look at things, which they can't do elsewhere and people like that.

It's not a thing that everyone realises, but people like to be touchy feely. When you are chosing moulding samples for a customers job, it's good to pass the samples to the customer so that they can handle and look at them. I think it makes them feel more envolved and more able to control the consultation proccess and that's a good thing. Some customers like to direct the process of choosing what they want and I like to let them do it. I don't do the hard sell thing, I want to be different and I want the customers to be fully involved, if that's what they want.

In an age when shop staff are being taught how to close the sale fast and it's all about making the sale, not pleasing the customer, treating customer with proper respect, kindness and making the customer feel at home, makes so much difference. Spending time with a customer and allowing them to express themselves is just such a different experience these days and never be afraid to be yourself. Don't put an act on, people like to connect with a real person, if you like spending time with them, they will like spending time with you. It works!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Chris1280
Organisation: London picture framing
Interests: Framing

Post by Chris1280 »

Get it milled, send these guys a drawing

Norfolk mouldings