Painting Restoration.

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
prospero

Painting Restoration.

Post by prospero »

I get frequent requests to restore/repair paintings. I know enough about it the leave it to someone who
is experienced, but I don't know anyone local anymore.

Anyone know of a good restorer within a reasonable distance to Lincoln? :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Painting Restoration.

Post by Not your average framer »

Restoration work is very time consuming and anyone new coming into that field won't find in so easy to get started and pay the bill during that start up period. As you so rightly say, many people who know enough about it, also know enough to stay out of that business. Good restorers aren't cheap and not so easy to find these days.

In my own experience, plenty of customers like to save their money and wrap up something requiring restoration and store it in the loft, or garage for a later generation to restore. Sadly being in business is not as easy as it once was and there are too many times when it's better to walk away from certain types of work. A good dose of reality does many of us quite a lot of good these days. Sure you can feel sorry for those, who are a bit short of money, but there are times when helping these people out, may lose you money instead and this applies to restorers as much as to anyone else.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

this guy is the best, Luke Jordan is his name and I'm extremely lucky to have him on my doorstep 01833 63783.
https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorantiques/
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Have you looked on the ICON website?
http://www.conservationregister.com/loc ... esults.asp
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I've used Jim Mullin (https://www.irishartrestorers.com) in the past and I can easily say he's a pleasure to deal with, it works like this

Hello, do you do restoration?

Yes but no but (or words to that effect)

Anyway, that'll take too long to go over the whole dialogue exchange so the basics are.... I put the client in contact with Jim, he will arrange collection (at his own cost) he'll receive it & then contact the customer with a quote for the repair. If they go ahead then I get a little kickback and if they don't the work gets returned - all with no cost to the customer - the reasoning is that the majority of times they'll agree with the repair/restoration and the seldom few that don't, well he just writes that off that cost. :)