Setting up a work station / work bench in your home.

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Setting up a work station / work bench in your home.

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm looking into creating a small work station in the corner of one on the rooms in my home. I'm not in any great hurry, but it would be nice to down a little bit of work from home while being shut down in self isolation. I have decided that along one side on the bench top, that I will include a shooting board to fine tune the mitres for the frames. A shooting board is a traditional method of mitring frame corners from the days before Morso's and essentially there's not a lot to making your own shooting board, it's just a few suitable bits of wood. Getting the bits of wood is not so easy now so many shops are closed, due to the shut down and may require a certain amount of improvisation. I'm just counting on laying my hands, on various bits and pieces that I can somehow manage to use.

I'm not expecting to be using my underpinner, or mountcutter in my home and will stay need to go down into the shop, as and when I need to use these. The intention is to be able to just stay at home and still do somethings to stop me getting to bored. There is already an unwanted counter / bench still in my shop which hopefully will provide much of the basic materials that I will need. I have a Pro man 110 mitre saw which I am planning to use for the initial cutting of the frame mitres and this will be set up to fit directly on to this bench when it is required and to be removed afterwards, to permit space for doing other tasks as required. The bench top will need a raised edge fitted on to the rear and sides, to stop saw dust and shavings falling off the edges and on to the floor.

I was just wondering if anyone else is planning to do something similar,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Katie Dougan
Organisation: Null
Interests: sewing, crochet and keeping my picture framer husband and kids out of trouble

Re: Setting up a work station / work bench in your home.

Post by Katie Dougan »

Not really,

We are furloughed so enjoying the time sitting around doing nothing l:
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi Katie,

I've tried the sitting around doing nothing, but doing nothing lacks the necessary challenge for me. I'd rather be doing something creative. I won't be working very hard, but I've plenty of old mouldings that I have not much need for, so I reckon I'll try some interesting ideas to use up some moulding that have been hanging around too long.

Have fun,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

It's a slippery slope, Mark - before you know it, you'll have not just a work station but a fully fledged workshop in your house! :D
Not your average framer

No, it's only for the shut down, after that it will go down to the shop down stairs.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Orde02
Organisation: Northwood Framing
Interests: Painting, flying, cycling

Post by Orde02 »

I'm trying to set up a small workshop in my conservatory but as the days get a little sunnier, it becomes to hot to work in after mid morning and will be like an oven in a couple of months time. So before I can work in there I need to insulate the roof. It's just clear plastic corrugated sheeting just now so will need to work out a cost effective way of dealing with it.
Anyone done anything similar?

Matt
Not your average framer

How much room have you got inside a conservatry? I'm just trying to imagine what it's like trying to work inside what must be like a green house when it gets hot. It seems quite hard to me. Are you able to heat it, when it's the cold time of year, or cool it down in the summer? I've got to admit having some serious respect for anyone, who is able to undertake framing from such a place. That is a shows some serious determination in my book.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Orde02

Post by Orde02 »

Hello Mark.

The conservatory is 11'11" x 8'7" so pretty small but it's the only space I have at the moment whilst I'm still learning the basics.
It is like an oven during the summer and a ice box in the winter hence my desire to insulate the roof. Hoping to do it fairly soon and make the room a bit more useable,

Matt
Not your average framer

That's not a lot of space. Do you have to store your framing supplies in there too? I must say that I'm really impressed at the high standard of the work that you have shown on the forum. You have already won a lot of respect for the outstanding quality of your work on the forum, but to be producing work of this standard, with such basic facilities is quite remarkable and truly deserves a lot of respect.

Mark
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Orde02

Post by Orde02 »

Thanks for your compliment Mark! :D :D :D
Justinerg
Organisation: MDF Cut to Size in London
Interests: Woodcrafts

Post by Justinerg »

I noticed you need to organize yourself, so the work is more efficient at home. I also take away all distractions, like phone, external sounds, etc.