Idea for novel appraoch...feedback please!

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Re: Idea for novel appraoch...feedback please!

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Part of the theatre of presentation is the tactile nature of the object, in the customers hand. The heft of the paper, the weight of the frame, the subtle resistance of the wind on mechanism of the Leica, or the unboxing of the Veblen gadget. But equally we have the smoke and mirrors approach of the unhandled object, where the face value is the value.

A combination , whether routed or joined, of the plant based frame, with a bonded formed face, finished with the surface of texture and colouration might make a step towards the visual theatre. Use of a heavier base might enhance the tactile.

All that I know about vacuum forming, I've got from a brief wander on the tubes (mainly Adam Savage), and on the vehicle wrap side, from sliding into and mostly back out from sign making forums. So I'm probably way off the mark. But it might be possible to engineer less than perfect single piece appearing work that doesn't look and feel as cheap as Ik.

And arguably not as cheap looking as a blinged up (Sorry English Language) Bugatti or super yacht. Forget wrapping them in gold chrome cast vinyl, these should be gessoed repeatedly before 24 carat leaf is applied.

With the aid of printable wrapping vinyl, you could finally have the tartan paint effect. That'll get the elder cameleons to learn new tricks.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Some of us are already doing stuff like that, except we are buying the printed vinyl as an off the shelf product. The problem is that you have to buy things in certain quantities and there are minimum order value as well. Personally I don't think that gold coloured vinyl looks any good, for me it's looks cheap and not very nice. Many of these pre-printed vinyls are not always what looks best for anything like a picture frame.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Agreed, a lot of the vinyl is rather tacky. This year I would have liked to go to Sign and Print, or even Fespa, to actually test what some of the larger format machines can do, at close inspection. A lot of what I make is designed to be seen at close distance, invites close scrutiny. That's where looking at the newish HP z9 coems in, as a potentially really serious step up from my current Canon machine.

Equally, larger format printing to variously uncoated, coated, and vinyl stocks is catching my interest, and links to areas of my market. The thought of spot varnishes to prints and vinyls, as well as semi permanant instals rather tempting.

Careful planning might make the use of a wrap, with anamorphic projection rather fun.
PapercutDave
Organisation: Hobbyist.
Interests: Paper cutting artist for 12 years, used a Logan 655 for about 6 years (don’t shoot me....) to mount my own work.
Interested in framing and mounting methodology.

Post by PapercutDave »

I’ve had work in two exhibitions so this is from the artists point of view.
I wouldn’t even consider Ikea level frames for exhibitions, you are selling the frame as well as the artwork.They are flimsy, generally have plastic not glass that is an absolute “bits magnet” unless you run it under the shower first to cancel out the static and generally are not finished inside the frame so its “bits galore” every time you touch it. Also, the exhibitions I took part in, they stipulated string and rings. Ikeas and the like just split....and look naff from the back.
I went to both of my local framers and bought their simple profile black wooden frames, in bulk, well made, got a discount, cut my own mounts, added rings and string myself which I bought in bulk. The frames looked uniform on the wall, of a quality so they didn’t detract from the artwork. Exhibitions take 30-40% commission generally so the artwork probably isn’t going to be cheap and needs to be displayed at its best to realise the ticket price. If you can produce one that fits all the crireria to convince someone to bulk buy from you, great but at what cost adding up labour time, materials etc? Plus it’s got to look good to the artist and suit their work and look good to the viewing public that might buy the artwork too.

Dave.