DIY Gilding Cushion? Which Leather? Etc.?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Foresty_Forest
Organisation: Forest Arts
Interests: Painting and Art

DIY Gilding Cushion? Which Leather? Etc.?

Post by Foresty_Forest »

I'm considering making my own gilding cushion. I've never actually seen one, is a piece of suede from Ebay all I need? Does it need any packing under the leather? Would a chamois leather work? Any other tips?

Thanks
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: DIY Gilding Cushion? Which Leather? Etc.?

Post by vintage frames »

You could make your own gilder's cushion. It's basically a soft brushed calf-skin leather stretched tight over a small wooden board. The leather is padded with something like woolen blanket material. Most gilder's cushions come with a parchment wind shield and some leather tabs to hold the knife and user's hand.

You mention using chamois leather - in theory I suppose it would work. But why would you bother with all that?

You can buy a basic gilder's cushion for less than £20 from Gold Leaf Supplies. They have them at prices well over that but there's no basic working advantage to buying the more expensive version.

What is more important is buying the best quality stainless steel knife.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
spoink47
Organisation: none
Interests: Hi, I'm Andy.
I enjoy reading books and playing the guitar

Post by spoink47 »

Foresty_Forest wrote: Sun 29 Nov, 2020 9:03 am I'm considering making my own gilding cushion. I've never actually seen one, is a piece of suede from Ebay all I need? Does it need any packing under the leather? Would a chamois leather work? Any other tips?

Thanks
hi there,
I wanna do one as well. Have you managed to do it eventually?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

£20 for a properly produced gilding cushion is a good deal! Suppose that you make your own and while you are trying to use it you are not getting the right results. What's wrong, your technique, or a problem with a home made cushion? How will you know? You will be already send the proper price for the gold leaf and other materials, why take chances of wasting your material with a potentially not perfect guilders cushion. What £20 in the sceme of things when you are paying the full price for every thing else?

Could this be a case of pennies wise and pounds foolish. When you are trying to produce the finest quality gold leaf finish, which customers are going to be paying top moneyy for why are you wanting to be potentially compromising, when you can have the real thing for a little as £20? By the time you've made your own what have you saved?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Just about any soft, flexible leather can be used so long as it is the "split side" up. Yes, I have the one I made 30 years ago.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
OldSchool
Organisation: Erica Hyatt Fine Art
Interests: Painting, running, woodworking, yoga

Post by OldSchool »

This video is useful for those folks who want to make their own gilder’s cushion. I have all the components, so thought I’d give it a go.
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

It would be a fun project to do but the time saved in buying one from gold leaf supplies is money well spent in my honest opinion.Steve has some good stuff on there for budding gilders.