Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
highlande7
Organisation: Private individual
Interests: Frames

Strainer construction.

Post by highlande7 »

Could someone please tell me about the strainer construction of the attached file in particular the overlapping joints of the strainer corners. Am I correct in saying that this style was unusual and if so was it particular to a place/country or time period? I suspect the painting is late 19th century and it may have a Spanish/Argentinian background.

Thank you for any assistance.
Attachments
Rear of frame..jpg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Strainer construction.

Post by Not your average framer »

I've seen lot of old stretchers like this on older framing, it was certainly very common at one time. Guessing dates is not that easy to be all that definitive about, but it was certainly common in the 19th century and perhaps upto something like the 1920's, or maybe even the 1930's. It is even quite an easy and simple method to follow if fabricating you own stretchers, it you already have a band saw avaiable.

From time to time I need to replace missing wedges for old stretcher frames and they are easy to cut these using a band saw as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
highlande7
Organisation: Private individual
Interests: Frames

Re: Strainer construction.

Post by highlande7 »

I suspect the painting may originally be 1890's Newlyn School so it would make sense you seeing them in your part of the world.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. :clap: