Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Framernathan
Organisation: Fine Artisan
Interests: ... Interests Hobbies Pastimes

Old / Antique Glass

Post by Framernathan »

Does anyone know if very old glass (pre-float glass) is valuable in any way? I occasionally get old bits of glass and I currently have quite a substantial piece, possibly Victorian.

I'm not expecting to make a fortune from it; I just don't want to break it up without checking first.

There must be people who use old glass. Is there anyone I could contact?
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Re: Old / Antique Glass

Post by Fruitini »

A local furniture restorer friend has most of my stock. He brings in antique cabinet doors that require precise cut shapes. It's not a huge earner but glad to see it being reused.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I always save it. I never have a huge amount but occasionally put it in piece when appropriate.

It cleans up very well with fine steel wool and lighter fluid and really sparkles. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Wonderful stuff. It looks superb inside replica antique frames or restorations. The more bubbles and blemishes the better.
The only limiting factor is when re-framing a valuable watercolour. Then you have to resort to modern museum style glass.
Can you say what size of a piece you have?
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I used to replace broken glass inside old picture frames for antique dealers. A lot of them used tidy up old stuff from house clearances and sell it the auctions. I have not seen an antiques dealer for ages now. Very few of them seem to be still in business near me! I did not bother bringing my old bits of antique glass with me when I moved shop a few years ago. I hope that you might find a few more antique dealers where you are.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Framernathan
Organisation: Fine Artisan
Interests: ... Interests Hobbies Pastimes

Post by Framernathan »

The piece is roughly 1230 x 780mm - so reasonably large.

I have reused old glass for the odd old frame but most of my framing is making new frames. So this piece is likely to sit in my glass storage for years unless it goes to a good home.