Discontinued pine mouldings.

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Discontinued pine mouldings.

Post by Not your average framer »

I was quite surprised to look on line at the Simons website and to find that there mouldings 0PIN/0002 and 0PIN/0005 seem to have vanished and appear to be no longer available. I was not expecting that! As a result, I won't be able to inclide them in my range of stacked moulding frames for much longer. I still have a small quatity in stock, but when that has been used, that's it. 000HW/0003 appears to have gone as well. Oh well, time to think of other mouldings, which work well as stacked moulding frames.

There are some Rose and Hollis equivalents, but not so helpful priced for buying in quantity. I still have a good stock of many of the moulding which I like to use with these, which is unfortunate. Time create some new ideas and move on! A lot of my really nice wider stacked moulding frames are now no longer a possibility for me to produce as a result. I can stil produce some wider stacked moulding frames based on flatter, less shapely mouldings, but the won't have that much older look, which I relied upon to createlots of interest with something which looks much older.

I also like to make some really wide country pine frames and I need to re-think these a bit too! Somehow Obeche does not look quite the same!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Re: Discontinued pine mouldings.

Post by Fruitini »

Search for PIN/02 and PIN/05. They are still there and plenty in stock. Simons website is horrendous to use. It’s so user unfriendly. The problem starts with their completely random and unrelated product coding, as you’ve found out! The filtering options for products are so wide-ranging it’s hard to narrow down a search once you’ve given up trying to guess the random product codes. Lion have it bang on as far as websites go with Centrado/LJ not far behind. Money talks tho and Simons are usually the cheapest so the inconvenience of the website is usually worth the pain!!!

https://djsimons.co.uk/product/reverse-plain-pine-2/

https://djsimons.co.uk/product/reverse-plain-pine-3/
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Oh thanks very much Fruitini,

I was really convinced that these mouldings were gone for good. At least I can still make some of my biggest and older looking stacked moulding frames. These frames are not particularly massive sales volume items, but their individual sales value can be very significant and as a result they contribute quite significantly to my business.
All the best,
Mark.

P.S. I have just found 00HW/3 as well, which has made me very happy. HW/3 is very useful indeed and also sometimes gets sliced up to produce all sort of different shapes of moulding, I make a range of different widths of stacked moulding frames using HW/3 and other different. It,s very useful to me, as I can produce these in different varieties of widths for a range of different prices to suit different customers budgets. I sell quite a significant amount of stacked moulding frames and this is a definite as significant focus for my business.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Fruitini wrote: Sun 10 Apr, 2022 6:46 am Search for PIN/02 and PIN/05. They are still there and plenty in stock. Simons website is horrendous to use. It’s so user unfriendly. The problem starts with their completely random and unrelated product coding, as you’ve found out! The filtering options for products are so wide-ranging it’s hard to narrow down a search once you’ve given up trying to guess the random product codes. Lion have it bang on as far as websites go with Centrado/LJ not far behind. Money talks tho and Simons are usually the cheapest so the inconvenience of the website is usually worth the pain!!!

https://djsimons.co.uk/product/reverse-plain-pine-2/

https://djsimons.co.uk/product/reverse-plain-pine-3/
I agree about all the above, especially moulding ref numbers, look in the catalogue there is one number, look at the price list, either extra '0's have been added or taken out of the ref number, the same with the website, we have started throwing samples in the bin if we can't find them in the pricing programme. The website descriptions are not correct, some plain woods are described as 'varnished ' and some painted are labelled 'stained'......
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

Thanks Steve,

I like the Simons bare pine mouldings a lot and find them extremely useful. There are are few Simons obeche bare wood mouldings, which are also consistently good quality and don't seem to suffer from the so called "snotwood" problems and I often use these as well. One significant reason why I use so much bare pine mouldings is the fact that there is so little wastage and even pieces with knots and dings get used to produce beaten up "rustic" style frames. There is very little which ever gets wasted at all. The low cost of many of the pine mouldings is of importance to me when producing stacked moulding frames. As you can no doubt understand, the use of multiple moulding use to create stacked moulding frames, causes cost to add up, as more mouldings are added. As a result, I get upto all sorts of tricks to increase the versatility of the mouldings, which I use for stacked moulding frames. It is not unusual for me to slice certain larger mouldings into sections, where I can use these sections separately to spread the cost of these larger mouldings between more than one stacked moulding frame.

Customer price resistance is something which I always need to bear in mind and I am well aware that my stacked moulding frames are not necessarily the most cost effective option for my customers and as a result, I am very cost oriented when buying my mouldings for use when producing stacked moulding frames. While a major amount of my profit has to come from the price I am able to charge my customers, there is also some of my profit which I know needs to come from my buying the most cost effective materials as well. I am not exagerating when I say that my use of such large quantities of really versatile pine mouldings is a really big deal for the way to which my business operates. Using the mouldings only for stacked moulding frames is not the whole story and I also use the same mouldings singularly for more basic frames, which are not stacked moulding frames at all. There are off cuts, which are left over from producing stacked moulding frames and still have the potential to make money for me, if I am able to turn them into saleable frames. I try to make as many of these frames into those which are a little different as using up off cuts, tends to mostly produce smaller frames and the market for smaller frames is not always a big market.

Fortunately, there are still markets for various "niche" market items, which some customers are very keen to buy. This is the market for really special things which are very definitely not common , or "run of the mill" stuff which are easy to find elsewhere at a cheaper price. I rely upon such items selling to those who are generally in the market for really special things, who hopefully still can afford to endulge themselves to pay the extra for things that are exellent good quality and really eye catching. Even my lower price clearance special offer boxes, still need to be really nice quality, People don't consider my discounted items a worthwhile purchase, unless they look good quality and well made. Really nice stuff and lesser quality stuff simply do not work when trying to sell them in the same shop! In the past, I used to buy the Frinton Mouldings bargain bundles are often use to make frames for my off cuts and I still have many boxes of these frames in an out building,which I intend to re-purpose. Some of the larger frames, will hopefully be large enough to re-purpose into matching pairs of smaller frames. Selling pairs of smaller frames work quite well for me.

It is often the case that a smaller frame, which simply will not sell as a single frame, is much easier to sell as part of a matched pair of frames. Not only that, buy some pairs of frames just look amazing as a hinged together pair and they often don't take long to sell. I do find that I can't always easily do this as far to many of the really small hinges, not only look really poor quality, but many of the better quality looking hinges are only usable on deeper sided mouldings. Smaller frames which don't make nice pairs or hinged pairs often become problematic to sell. Sometimes, I can re-purose a few of these into deep box frames, but there are some frames which just lack the right look and are not worth the bother at all. Some of these less easier to sell frames get put into a box and can be only sold cheaply as a job lot, unfortunately the alternative otherwise is the dumpster and I am currently down sizing to a much smaller dumpster, so I might not have any space for too much in the smaller dumpster.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Post by Fruitini »

Steve N wrote: Tue 12 Apr, 2022 6:17 am I agree about all the above, especially moulding ref numbers, look in the catalogue there is one number, look at the price list, either extra '0's have been added or taken out of the ref number, the same with the website, we have started throwing samples in the bin if we can't find them in the pricing programme. The website descriptions are not correct, some plain woods are described as 'varnished ' and some painted are labelled 'stained'......
Even then, once you’ve found what you need you then have to convert to price per metre and apply your own discount to be able to make any sort of comparison. Frustrating,
Not your average framer

Simons still list moulding in price per foot, as well as price per meter. I don't have a completely fixed mark up on most of the pine mouldings which I use on my handfinished, or stacked moulding frames. Fixed mark up ratios are not my thing at all. Working for peanuts, makes no sense!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer