Just found out today that all my backing boards now cost double what they did before Covid.

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Just found out today that all my backing boards now cost double what they did before Covid.

Post by Not your average framer »

I just found out today that all my backing boards now cost double what they did before the start of Covid. I glad that I bought two boxes of conservation backingboard which is 80 sheets, two boxes of standard craft backing board which is another 80 sheets, two boxes of corrogated basic backing board which is another 50 sheets and two boxes of greyboards which is another 20 boards. I bought all of these at pre Covid prices and they now all cost twice the price which I paid. So I am quite pleased about that.

In case you are wondering the greyboard is used as a disposable covering for my bench top and when they get dirty you can turn them over When both side get dirty you just throw them in to the dumpster. They are quite an easy way of keeping you working surfaces on your bench tops fairly clean and don't cost much when you throw them away. I've always intended to use them for making spandrel, but so far I have not got around to doing it yet. They are really easy to cut as the boards are quite a soft material.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Re: Just found out today that all my backing boards now cost double what they did before Covid.

Post by prospero »

I think we all have to come to grips with a fact that everything is considerably more expensive than it was five years ago.
I ordered a coil of hanging wire and 5 bags of D-rings yesterday. £101 :shock: All these 'sundries' we tend to dismiss, but they
eat into the profit margin. Not to mention electricity/gas. The only thing to do is to pass it on to the customer. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Just found out today that all my backing boards now cost double what they did before Covid.

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm very glad that I stock up on backing boards when I did. I had no idea that it was going to save me so much money at the time! I had also run out of slip over hanger and Lion were out of stock of my usual ones and so I bought a bag of 1,000 brass plated one. I don't think that I will ever be needing to order anymore slip over hangers for the rest of my life. I can't remember what I paid for them now, but in the long term I have probably save quite a bit of money!

Pine mouldings used to be quite a bit cheaper that obeche, but that advatage is a lot less noticeable now. I am now thinking that many larger and chunkier obeche mouldings are likely to be more helpful to be buying instead. Sure they cost more, but I suspect that the bigger and chunkier obeche mouldings might be better to be selling after all. I have quite a lot of older, discontinued mouldings in stock, but what customers are now buying may preclude much of this stuff, or a least handfinished older mouldings may not be as worthwhile as it was.

I have not checked yet, but I am guessing that paint prices will have gone quite a bit and maybe won't be helping the profit margins, which I have previously relied up on while buying up job lots of discontinued mouldings. I was originally buying self adhesive backing tapes, because they are often very quick and easy. However I decent quantity of some very big rolls of thick and wide brown gummed paper tape,which I have not been using for a while. I think that I will be switching back to the good old fashioned gummed paper tape in pretty short order.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer