Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Adhesive Roll

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I’m looking for some double sided adhesive roll for sticking down paper onto mount board. It needs to be pressure sensitive, NOT heat activated.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Adhesive Roll

Post by Justintime »

I've used the Hotpress PMDS25082 from Wessex for cold laminating in the past. No problems with it.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Actually, I've had a look at that product (PMDS25082), apparently it works with MDF which sounds great. Does anyone know I could use it for mounting the cheap holiday oil paintings onto MDF. I've never had any luck with self adhesive methods regarding canvas on MDF. We usually use PVA but it takes time to and can be messy :)
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

There's PMSU41164 for more difficult substrates, so that might work better. Personally I vacuum press with HMFC25082.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Steven -
I've used the PMDS25082 to fix thin canvas to display board using a JetMounter and seemed to work fine. Can't see any reason why it shouldn't work on any other smooth surface, MDF included.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Steven -
I've used the PMDS25082 to fix thin canvas to display board using a JetMounter and seemed to work fine. Can't see any reason why it shouldn't work on any other smooth surface, MDF included.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Cheers guys, I'm going to order a roll. It sounds like a product that'll come in very handy for some jobs
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I've used a pressure sensitive adhesive on a roll, basically it is a very wide roll of double sided tape, used it with manual rollers which I got on ebay, I got it from Simons,
I found for best results, apply to the paper first, then to the board/MDF, just seemed to work better way
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

I mostly run self wound pressure sensitive adhesive, using a laminator, but I do keep a couple of rolls of the PMDS25082 for smaller jobs. I always apply to the substrate first, as this is not "a moving target".I'll use it for times when I need to know that the adhesive is in perfect condition (something that is less easy to tell with the self wound adhesives), or I can't be bothered to change whatever else is on the laminator. It is perfectly possible to apply the first coat to substrate with a squeegie, atleast if the roll is no more than 25" wide. Applying the paper, you could gently tack and brayer the the print, then apply (foam blanket and) weights, assuming the paper is paper, and not plastice coated.
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

If you're not using a laminator, then twin release is the way to go - as you say, slowly and carefully. I've not seen a difference in the strength of the adhesive (with the exception of UtraTac, which I used a few years back). I've found that twin release also has a longer shelf life, before devoloping piping faults.

The top roller on our JM44 weighs 20-30KG, possibly more, so this is putting a lot of even pressure on the substrate when we prep. If the Simons board works for you, then for small volumes, I'd go with the convenience.